3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cold Air Intakes

Old 01-24-2006, 04:36 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold Air Intakes

ORIGINAL: ssenay

is the 77 series worth it? just for looks? wheres the cheapest price?
If you're gonna get a K&N intake....get the 63 series.
The 77 series is metal & the 63 series is plastic and the intake temps should be lower with the plastic one.

On K&N's website....the 63 series adds 9whp & the 77 adds like 7whp (dyno charts on their website). Difference is minimal, but I still think the 63 series looks better in all black plastic (blends in with the engine).

Best price for the 63 series is on ebay for $255 SHIPPED:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I'm going with K&N personally.
I'm not going to bash the AirRaid since I haven't used it, but it doesn't make sense that it can pull more air in using the bottom of the factory airbox....meaning it's only limited to the air around the filter inside the heatshield.
The Factory airbox can pull air from the fender thru the little "snorkel" in the fender because it's an air tight/sealed setup....the AirRaid isn't....so I don't get it. They "claim" 9hp & 10torque, but no dyno results are posted.

My 2 cents

Old 01-24-2006, 12:10 PM
ssenay
Rookie

good point...i havent had time to take a good look at the stock box but is the bottom a seperate piece or do they expect you to cut it or something? i havent taken a good look at it yet.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:07 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Well yeah the bottom of the stock airbox snaps into the fender, and then the top is clamped on

You remove the factory air hat that is attached to the throttle body and the tubing & the top of the factory air box, and then you're supposed to put the AirRaid filter/heatshield on top of the bottom of the factory airbox and then hook up the intake tube to the throttle body.

If you notice in the picture below (from AirRaid's site)......the little tube that comes in front of the bottom of the factory airbox & there's a piece of foam around it that goes into the fender (this is stock).....that's where the stock airbox (sealed) pulls in the air from

The AirRaid intake isn't gonna be a sealed box so it won't be able to "pull"/suck the cooler air from the fender.....so that's why I said earlier it's sort of limited to the air it can take in......UNLESS it makes a 100% seal with the hood, which I doubt because then there would be vibrations and noise from the intake/heatshield hitting the hood (even though there is a small rubber gasket....it'd still happen)

Old 01-24-2006, 07:45 PM
ssenay
Rookie

ok so with that said how does the k&n differ, any pics? (i appreciate your help)

Old 01-24-2006, 10:28 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Installation instructions (with pics) & dyno sheet are here:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=63-1546

Pic:

Old 01-26-2006, 04:27 AM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest with you, I read an article at Dodge Truck World that said the CAIs are not accurate as they should be. They say that when they test the CAIs, they leave the hood open. They tested them with the hood down, where it wasn't circulating as much air through it. The HP was a lot lower.

The funny thing is, I haven't seen that article since I first read it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes