3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 Dakota Steering Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:07 PM
neXgen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dakota Steering Noise

Hi everyone, I'm new but I wanted to share a steering noise I've had in the steering.
When I rotate the steering wheel 3/4 turn I noticed a sqeeking sound when going approx. 20-30 kilometers.
I went to the dealer to have it checked out, here what they did:
They did a road test, heard the same noice. Removed the steering wheel and clockspring and cleaned clockspring, lubed them up. Still same noise. After further disassembly of the column they found a dropped bolt for airbag mount.
As they disassembled the column they also broke the radio button, The part cost them $72.38 to replace ( good thing they had one in stock).
Their final diagnostics was to replace the whole column. cost $1210.00 CAN part#19-014-006
They will call me when the part comes in. I'll keep ya posted.
I've had this truck since Feb/2005. The only other work done was re-align the drivers door, they did a nice job.
Other than that, the truck is awesome, after i put 12,500 KM

Thanks

Old 02-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Blu_Dak
Veteran
Default RE: 2005 Dakota Steering Noise

I have the same noise,kinda sounds like yur on a ship!LOL!I also have the Air bag light come on as well,I think it's time for an appointment : (
Im not looking forward to sittin around while they fu(k w/ my truck,I don't like it when people screw with it.

Blu_

Old 02-07-2006, 04:31 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

When you say "the airbag light comes on".......what do you mean??

The one on the cluster??
or
The one above the radio??

Old 02-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Blu_Dak
Veteran

Sorry for the lag,it's the one in the cluster.What happens is,first I hear the chime then the passenger air bag comes also the drivers light comes on(breifly)then it'll turn off.
It has never stayed on for more than a min or too.

Blu_

Old 02-11-2006, 04:38 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Well I asked which one first, because many people have had the one above the radio come on and that's because they usually have something on the passenger seat. There's a sensor for the weight of the "occupant" in the passenger seat and if the weight doesn't meet a certain requirement (50?--I don't know how many pounds) then it shuts the passenger airbag off. The reason is for small kids or car seats I believe.

But anyways...so you have the one on the cluster come on...hmm....
Well when you start the vehicle it does a check on the cluster and the light comes on and then should go off right away (I believe...I'll have to check next time I get in my truck)

Kind of odd that you have both come on and for so long, and it shouldn't chime either (that means there is a problem and wants you to notice the light on the cluster, obviously)

Might wanna have the dealer check it out when you find time...sounds a little weird

Old 02-14-2006, 02:41 PM
wpgdakota
Professional

I have that same stupid noise....annoying as hell

Old 02-15-2006, 10:45 AM
neXgen

Well I took the truck into Royal Dodge, and all they replaced is the clockspring, it did reduce the noise alot, but it is still there.
Nice to see another Winnipegger in here.

Also I noticed the steering wheel is out 1-2 degrees. I guess it going back into the dealer.

Quick Reply: 2005 Dakota Steering Noise