3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4x4 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
pcheyne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Problem

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone else had this problem:
When I use my four wheel drive (4 lock or 4 low), if I make any kind of tight turn, the wheels lock up, as if my brakes are locked. Only happens when I have the wheel turned all the way. It's very strange. I asked the dealer about this during my 3000 mile oil change and they said to break it in a bit more....
Any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2006, 07:39 PM
WorrGames
Professional
Default RE: 4x4 Problem

hmm, well mine doesnt completely lock up. If im in 4 lock and my wheel is turned all the way, it just feels very rough and bumpy. But i never had them actually lock up.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:48 PM
FONTANA MOTORSPORTS
Professional

that is normal, thats why they tell you to only use on loose terrain.because wheen turning , your rear tire is turnning at a different speed then your front. it does the same thing in high range or 4 lo, in a AWD one, you do not get that due to having a center differential.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:59 AM
butchowens

I believe this is refererred to as tire "scrub". One of the other guys commented on this. For the most part both front wheels are trying to turn and because the steering is in one direction or the other, the wheels are actually rotating at uneven speeds.You are on too hard a surface when in 4wd. Be careful not to do this often. You WILL cause damage to your xfer case. Put it in 4wd on a much less compacted surface. I hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:05 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Yeah when you're in 4 wheel drive you don't wanna make sharp turns (or circles) at low speeds. When the vehicle is in 4wd all 4 wheels want to go straight & it kind of resists the turns and that creates the "lock up" you are talking about.

It's normal, but definitely something you want to avoid doing (on purpose)

Old 02-19-2006, 06:39 AM
28this
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "Skip" actually in the tires is because the 4x4 system wasn't actually designed for turning. When in high or low range and in a turn your front tires are trying to pull the vehicle in the direction that your tires are pointing, while at the same time your rear tires are trying to push your vehicle in the direction that the vehicle is facing, this causing the front tires to "Skip" sideways as they try to roll forward. It will not harm your vehicle for short periods of time, but like the others have said, it is not good to do constantly or for long periods at any one time, mainly because 4wheel drive is not designed for it. I live where I have to drive with my 4x4 locked in 2/3 of every year. I get this skip all the time in turns that I can do nothing but turn hard in. A good thing, if you know you'll have to turn harder than usual, disenguage the 4x4 before going into turn and reinguage when turn is completed, when its possible. It's not a problem, just something that hasn't been perfected in 4wheel drive systems.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Problem