3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Making the switch to AMSOil

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:55 PM
turfgrass
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the switch to AMSOil

Hey guys, I was thinking of making the switch to AMSOil when my first oil change comes around, but was wondering if it would be worth it.
I don't drive my truck all that hard(most miles are highway) and from what i gathered from an AMSOil pamphlet is that you change oil and filter and you can go 25,000miles or a year, befre changing them again. Is this the case, I will only put 12,000miles on in a year anyway, but would it be worth the cost. What do you have to do when you have it in there do you just check oil periodically and top off if(as) needed. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:52 AM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Making the switch to AMSOil

I've thought about it also. I just don't have enough info on it. Let me know what you think if you do it.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:00 AM
danpfay99
Rookie

I didn;t wait for first oil change, did it at 1000 miles & just like my 03 Change the filter at 7500 miles add enough oil to top off & go another 7500 miles then change oil all together & filter. I'm just an amsoil believer & it has never let me down.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:03 AM
turfgrass
Professional

Do you guys think its worth it to go Synthetic in a lease, I probably won't buy at the end since buy out will be too much. I just don't know about spending that much since I only have a 2 year lease.

Thanks

Old 04-08-2006, 03:08 AM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard anything bad about it. I've been thinking about Royal Purple. It could be worth your while for a lease. Then again, if you aren't going to own it, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:44 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know amsoil is really good. I actually used Mobil 1 extended performance. I change my oil every 10,000-15,000 miles. My family has been changing there mobil 1 every 10k for like 20 years. For the cars we kept, we always had high mileage engines that were healthy. We had a 92 Chevy lumina with 230,000 miles that had M1 every 10k miles, didnt burn or leak a drop when we sold it. We also had a 86 Toyota 4x4, same thing but 260k. The blocks were in good shape.

Full PAO Synthetics (amsoil and mobil 1 are the only two) practically last forever. The big issue in getting motor oil to last a long time, is air filtration. There is only two ways for "dirt" to be in the engine and wear down the oil and then the engine. The first is combustion byproduct, which is internal, and the second is through the throttle body, the dirty air. A good sealing PAPER filter is crucial to great air filtration.

Yup, I'm an oil nerd.

I would use Mobil 1 Extended Performance over Amsoil simply because of its availability. Honestly there both so close in performance. Alot of Oil UOA's show mobil 1 actually outperforming, but there close.

Quick Reply: Making the switch to AMSOil