3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Running satelitte antenna wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 03:40 AM
Kremithefrog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running satelitte antenna wire

Have a few questions about hooking up my mom's satelitte radio to the stock single disc head unit.
1. Best place to run antenna? Right now, I have it on the passenger front roof, wire is sorta pinched between the door and weather stripping, not a very good place.

2. Wire to go from audiovox unit to aux input? What kinda wire is this so I can directly connect it rather than use the fm modulator? Any good place to get a deal on this wire?

3. Hiding wires? How do I remove the trim around the radio/vents? I want to tuck the wire from the power outlet to the tuner (placed on dash above vents) behind the trim.

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran
Default RE: Running satelitte antenna wire

I just purchsed a SKYfi2 and have also ordered a FM Modulator.

I too have been considering several locations for the antenna. Some folks I know just throw it up on the dash and they have stated that it works pretty well. I have seen where others run the wire from behind the dash and out through the firewall and place the antenna on the quarter panel opposite the antenna. Another version is to run the wire behind the dash, up the pillar, across the headliner and out the third brake light. As you can see, the gamut runs from easy to rather complex.

As far as taking off the trim around the radio, while searching around I found this company called Bracketron (www.bracteron.com) which makes a bracket that screws into the existing radio mount. They also sell a tool for removing the dash, about $10.00. However, the"tool" looks like an elongted plastic wedge which is used to pop the clips which hold the trim in place.

Hope this hleps.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:08 PM
igneous
Amateur

I want my antenna back along the drivers side lower panel, up one of the pillars into the back by the 3rd brake light. I ran the wire out of the brake light and have the antenna mounted a few inches up on the roof. Its pretty clean looking. I put a little bit of silicone sealant where the wire comes out of there, so water doesn't get into the light.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:30 AM
danpfay99
Rookie

Ran my wire from 3rd. brake lite under headliner to the a pillar, pulled kick panel on drivers side mounted bx, ran wires under dash to head unit. Take 2 screws out of bottom of cntr. panel(where power & 4wd switch are pull out & up unplug all connections heat a/c fan etc.4 more screws & radio is free hook up wires reverse to install pretty easy .Just 2 things use care unplugging air bag lite at top of cntr. panel & silicone notch for wire at 3rd. brake lite. not really hard to do less than 2 min. of cussing for whole job.

Quick Reply: Running satelitte antenna wire