3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Ideas!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:43 AM
dueler320
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas!!!!

I have a 2005 Laramie Dodge Dakota V8HO 4x4 w/ full time transfer case and 17" tires with the tow package. Given that information guys and gals, what upgrades are recommended for increased HP, Torque, & MPG increase, w/ torque being less of a focus due to my truck already having 310 ft/lbs w/ the HO engine. I am not looking to throw major bucks/upgrades into this due to my cash flow, just what I can moderately do. I have loved every Dakota I have owned and drove, and I plan on enjoying this one until it "takes its last breath." The have debated a shaker unit or working hood scoop, but I keep argueing with myself over whether or not I would get nearly the same amount of performance increase for alot less money with say a K&N FIPK?

Old 06-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran
Default RE: Ideas!!!!

Welcome to the Board!!

I think most folks around would recommend an intake and an exhaust mod. I personally have the 63 and not the 73 series K&N Intake. Exahust preferences abound and personally I see no significant differences between any of them, it will probably boil down to which one 'sounds' best to you.

One last thing, unless you are running Premium in your HO, you don't get the HO performance. From other messages, most folks seem to miss this point. [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 06-11-2006, 03:32 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the full time transfer case is a bummer. simple mods that are cheaap are. 180 thermostat helps truck run cooler and have a little more power.iat adjuster. this moves the inlet air sensor closer to the fenderwall. the sensor tricks the engine into telling it cooler air is incoming and adjust the air fuel ratio. the full k / n fipk is the best mod so far. can get them cheap on ebay 225.00. the other thing is gotta run the good gas or the truck wont perform the same. cat back exhaust are nice. just remember to drop the third cat. its useless and there are no 02 sensors in them. change oil in meatballs a lot of people go woth royal purple or amsoil. this will free up some friction

Old 06-28-2006, 04:27 AM
SafariRick

Hi there
I've add the K@N air intake system - that addes about 10 hp. Gibson single sise exhaust cat-back which sounds sweet.
The biggest power increase was adding the Jet Chip. Wow, talk about added power and overall performance.
And of course, today I added the 180 degree thermostat. Tomorrow will be my first road test.
I put it in as I tow a 25 ft airstream trailer.

And finally, All my fluids are AMSOIL Synthetics.

R/
Safari-Rick

Quick Reply: Ideas!!!!