3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Programing Remote Lock Transmitters

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 02:12 AM
Jericho
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programing Remote Lock Transmitters

I bought a used 2005 Dakota, which only came with one key. I tried to program a new key's transmitter, using the truck, but it doesn't work. I guess the alllotted six keys have already been programed before I bought the truck. Is there a way to reset the trucks program to allow it to program more keys?
My only other option is to take it to a dealer and have them work their magic, using the truck and the existing key and $115.00.

Thanks,

Old 06-29-2006, 04:19 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional
Default RE: Programing Remote Lock Transmitters

Here's what i just went thru with my truck. I too purchased an '05 Dakota that only came with one key. Now, the dealer told me I would need to purchase the additional key, and pay for labor, and programming, bla bla bla.
BUT - I recently lost the key, and the dealer said the only thing to do was to tow it in and have them work on it.
HOWEVER - I called a home-locksmith buddy, who then called an auto-locksmith buddy. The following day he showed up, and within FIVE MINUTES my truck was running again.
This guy was able to make a working key from my existing ignition.
OK - my original key was the remote lock/unlock with panic key, with the mico-chip inside. However, it turns out that my truck, when originally purchased, DID NOT have the microchip module installed, therefore eliminating the need for a micro-chipped key.
I now have two simple, bare metal keys that work in both the iginition and door lock. The entire thing cost me $65.
So - you might want to try the $2 hardware store duplicate key to see if it starts your truck before spending $200 at the dealer

Old 06-29-2006, 09:28 PM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

wow the dealer here in Austin TX did programming for free for me. I also had them make the headlights come on when I unlock it at night.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Chad05
Professional

the dakota's can be programmed for that, i didnt know that or was that some after market parts they put on for that just curious, they
blink like the turn signal's or they just stay on, learning minds wanna know lol

Old 07-03-2006, 12:49 AM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

No when the doors are unlocked the headlights only (no taillight or marker light) will come on for a set amount of time, you can pick from 15sec to several minutes, I chose 30 sec. The dealer used some hand held computer and went thru the option menues. You can turn on and off all sorts of things. Can turn on DRLs too or shut off horn when you lock. Ask the dealer to show you the programmable options, pretty cool, many people dont know all the features you can play with. Only thing is it takes that computer to do it. There were pages of things to change, I just wanted the headlight feature. So my headlights come on both when I unlock and lock the doors.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:13 AM
snowlover

Got my new to me 06 quad cab home and only have 1 original key. Went to hardware store, cut a key for $1.99 and tried it out. Was just waiting for the truck to shut down after starting, but it never did. Bare metal key works fine.

Now, I am trying to find a door lock key fob for my wife. Tons of them are availble up to 04 trucks, but no 05+'s. Can anyone confirm that an 04 remote door will or will not work. Since I obviously don't have the secruity chip, I would think a basic key fob could be programmed to work.

Anyone?

Guess I could call dodge tomorrow, but all they wanted to do was sell me an overpriced, high mileage used truck.

Later

Old 12-29-2006, 07:25 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

Also if you notice that thecargo utility lamp comes on for the 90 default seconds that the headlights stay on for. I wired the interior topper light to thecargo utility lamp circuit so when I push the key fob to unlock the doors it also turns on the interior topper light. That’s nice when getting to something in the bed at night. It also works with the cargo light switch on the dash.

Quick Reply: Programing Remote Lock Transmitters