3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Brake dragging?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006 | 12:46 PM
budking
Default Brake dragging?

I just started experiencing this problem on my 06 Dakota 4x4. I noticed several times when slow turning to the right a grinding noise from the right front of the truck. It occurs backing up as well but only when the wheel is cut to the left. Anyone have this experience?

Bud

Old 07-05-2006 | 01:30 PM
luvmydak
Veteran
Default RE: Brake dragging?

Take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. I assume this happens all the time and not just now and then. DO NOT let them tell you it is normal. It is not! It might not even be brake related but a steering or suspension issue. Do you experience the grinding with these maneuvers with your foot OFF the brake?

Old 07-07-2006 | 12:43 PM
budking

Yep. It happens on slow turns in either direction with brake applied and not applied. I really hate the hassle of taken it in. Oh well, do whatcha gotta do!

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2006 | 05:25 PM
SinceOne
Rookie

i get that too. front right tire.. when i turn the wheel all the way to the left...

i always thought it was the tire rubbing? i hope it is.. i gotta check it out closer.

Old 07-07-2006 | 05:31 PM
white26golf
Veteran

Sometimes on certain vehicles, when you turn the wheels to the max position, you will hear the power steering. I hear it all the time on Humvees (military kind). I also hear it occassionally with my truck when I am pulling out of my driveway. I don't think its the brakes, but I am not there to hear your truck.

Old 07-14-2006 | 08:47 AM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

If you have the big tires, they might be rubbing the plastic inner fender well like mine does. Makes for an annoying sound. If this is the case,you can try useing a heat gun on the plastic wheel well and bend it back a smidgen.

Quick Reply: Brake dragging?