3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Startup noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:14 PM
graythang
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Startup noise?

Fuel has nothing to do with the clatter want a be diesel noise that happens mostly after sitting over night. The dealer tried, yes I said tried to say it may be normal. I said lets go start up a few Dak tomorrow morning here on the lot to what’s normal. They said that wasn't necessary. They have a factory guy coming in and will keep the truck over night. Yes, I will be there that morning for the startup. Yes, I will have a loaner. Yes if they need to get into the engine, they will own it. Yes, they will order another if that’s the case. I 'm not fooling around. I'm busy and I have life outside of a truck. I want my 32k worth now or it’s gone. I VERY happy for you people that have good Daks but I hope you will respect what some of us are going through.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 PM
King4x4
Rookie

yup mine does it two had in still there its going in again

Old 08-17-2006, 01:31 AM
Glk21C
Professional

UPDATE: I left the truck at the dealer last night, they had a regional manager of some sort come listen to it. They all heard it and also acknowledged it is not a normal sound. They want one other regional service rep something or other to listen to it, then decide the course or action. I am down the road of something happening, I'll fill in more as I find out more.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:52 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

I have to look at the back of my pants to see if there is dirt from just falling off the turnip truck. Normal??? Hey, Dodge I'll give Freaking Normal. The noise IS NOT NORMAL.
I said to the dealer that I would be by in the morning and we will start up 4.7 Daks and let’s see what Normal is. They of course said that wouldn't be necessary.
Anyone of you Dak people that have this noise problem, YOU CAN'T EGNOR IT. You can't hide behind the pretty little truck when the main part of the truck has a REAL situation going on. This has to dealt with or after that warranty fades, you may in for pure hell. Read my lips. (Not backing down) not me. What you all do is your own reasoning. I will help all concerned in anyway I can. This may turn into a collective mater.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:56 AM
Chad05
Professional

What is your startup noise is it that lifter noise and rattling or what is it sound like, thanx

Old 08-17-2006, 02:12 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Yes it is. More like from the right side of the engine. When it revs it becomes less and when it backs down to idle it clattering louder. This goes on for two minutes or so. It sounds like lifters or bearings.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:24 AM
Chad05
Professional

Like i said the service advisor said it's something to do with oil not being at the lifter's, so when your truck is warm there is no noise or there still is noise.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:27 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Chad, the only time you may hear lifters and be considered normal would be in a deep freeze when you oil is thick and the steel parts have contracted in your engine or if you’re very short on oil. Other than that, there is no normal. Why are only a few, as a ratio of Dak posting owners have this and most others don’t? Which one of us has normal trucks?

Old 08-17-2006, 03:48 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Glk21C, Please keep me/us posted on how the situation is going. I will do the same.
There are others who have this problem and hopefully this will be a start to a customer-satisfied outcome.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:27 AM
Glk21C
Professional

UPDATE: The second regional service manager for my area came by the delaer today and listened. He agreed with the first manager who listened to it, it's not a normal sound. He gave the go ahead for the dealer to tear into it, which they will start on Thursday.

More updates to come....

Quick Reply: Startup noise?