3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Snow and ice traction

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:19 AM
white26golf
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow and ice traction

Ok, I will be getting some 4.10 gears in a couple of months. My question is what is the best VALUE for a LSD, or locker, or posi. I will probably be moving back to Gemany in the next 2 years and since I will be doing the gears, might as well do everything right? So I have a 2wd open diff with 3.55's currently. What are my options. What's better on ****ty roads. I don't know much about this subject.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:45 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Snow and ice traction

get intouch with local junk yards first. try and find the corporate rear that will fit the axle housing. limit slip is fine if you want to get stuck in the mud. forget about lockers. you still will need to go out and set the hub unles you do it electronically. my corporate rear is fine. also forget the 4.10 unless you go with bigger tires the 3.92 gears are better for gas in your situation. i do mostly highway driving thats why i went with the 3.55

Old 10-22-2006, 04:45 PM
white26golf
Veteran

Ok, not really tracking what you are talking about. I have the 8.25 corporate rear. I wanted the 4.10's because I do mostly in city driving and I wanted the performance benefit. I don't think I would notice that much difference going from 3.55 to 3.92. I asummed that the open diff that I have is crappy for traction and wanted to look at other options for putting the power to the ground in regards to price and performance (value). Maybe you could explain it a little better to me.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:55 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you already have the corporate rear than you are all set. they act like a true posi. i thought you had the one legger. so going with the gears of your choice will be fine around town driving wont effect it as much as highway driving. if you drive on the highway you will see a difference in rpm,s. i have the corporate rear and love it. and seeing how your truck is 2 wheel the price wont be all that bad. and if you have traction trouble you can always put sandbags in the rear

Old 10-22-2006, 09:05 PM
white26golf
Veteran

Yeah, when its wet outside I usually spin out from a start, even when I am easy on the pedal. Just thought that maybe a Limited Slip would give me some better Traction on the snow covered roads. Wrecked my first BMW in Germany because I had no weight in the Trunk and don't want to take any chances with my new baby.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:21 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all i havta say is im lookin outside at the first snow of the year...and im gettin my camera warmed up cuz its MY baby's first winter
i hope you all like krispy kreams....cuz its time for DOUGHNUTS

Old 10-23-2006, 03:01 PM
white26golf
Veteran

I looked on my axle and on my package paperwork and figured out that I do not have limited slip. Its supposed to say Trac-Loc on the axle and either LSD or Anti-spin on the paperwork if it does. So now I'm looking for the best value in a limited slip so I can get it installed with my gears. Any suggestions on the best limited slip I can get for a little to moderate coin?

Quick Reply: Snow and ice traction