3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Stock tire noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:04 PM
daltoninnm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock tire noise?

Hello to all. I am a new guy here and this is my first post. I have a 2005 DD QC 2WD V6 with 5000 miles. The issue I need advice on is this: is it just me or is there alot of road noise coming from the front end on these vehicles. The tires that came with the truck are Goodyear SRA's. They seem to pick up noise from every little bump in the road. Any suggestions? I have been looking at replacing the factory Goodyears with Michelins. However they are kind spendy. Can anyone out there tell me if they have experienced any problems like this with thier truck? Or have ever heard of this issue? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:49 PM
graythang
Record Breaker
Default RE: Stock tire noise?

I have the BFG TA AT KOs and they are inherently noisy as ATs usually are. But the truck is so tight and quiet that even with those tires and the TRX4 suspension I am surprised how quiet it still is. This truck is quieter than most high end cars. I will say that the Michelins LT series are a great tire and for 2WD it would be my choice. I had them on my 95 DAK and a Jeep and they where the best in every respect. Get rid of the GYs they are just trash unless you go way up the ladder on the GY line and they become a great and expensive tire to have.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:22 PM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

although the OEM tires are not that great the are pretty quiet tires. I am going to go out on a limb and say could be from limited driving. With 5k in almost 2 production years you may have flat spots. The cheaper the tire the more flat spot prone.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:54 AM
rick4dak
Veteran

The Goodyears that came on my '05 as well as my previous '02 are very noisey. They are probably the cheapest tire DC could purchase that looked okay and performed okay. The good news is that they don't last that many miles.
Replace them with Michelins or another good quality tire and you'll notice a real improvement in ride, handling and they will be quieter also.

Quick Reply: Stock tire noise?