3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Help! Tranny Problem...I Think???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 03:29 PM
DakotaMan06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Tranny Problem...I Think???

Hi Guys,

As you all know I'm new here. Looks like a GREAT forum.

I'm having a problem with my 06 Dakota, it's a TRX4, quad, with thelaramie package, and the 4.7l V8. The problem is a very harsh down shift at 25mph. I work 5 days a week and the trip to work has a way of triggering this problem, but the dealer is having a hard time recreating the problem. My ride to work is about 45 minutes on the highway at 75mph, then after getting off my exit I drive about a mile more to my job. When i turn in I have to slow from 45mph to maybe 15mph to make a turn. 8 out of 10times I get an very hard down shift when crossing the 25mph mark. It feels like you just hit a pot hole. I'm not sure this is the tranny but it is happening during a down shift while I'm applying the breaks. Also, just a side note: If I press the tow/haul option on the shifter the problem never happens.

The local dealer has done two TSBs. First, they updates the code in my transmission. Second, they replaced some parts related to the filter in the tranny, and gave me all new trans fliud. none of these helped, and the dealer put ten miles on my truck so I guess they have test drove it and didnt have that problem.

I have looked through this forum and havn't found anyone else with the same problem. Has anyone ever heard of this, or have a thought on the possible cause?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Old 01-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Glk21C
Professional
Default RE: Help! Tranny Problem...I Think???

I have a few thoughts.

1. Sounds like the torque convertor is what is "un-locking" (there is proabably a correct term for that) at about that speed. That's why when you press the tow-haul button you notice it doesn't happen. Pressing that button turns off the lock up torque convertor. It might be normal but I can't say I've ever noticed that in mine

2. you better do the test drives with the dealer representative to make sure the condition is repeated. trust me

3. A better trans fluid like AMSOIL ATF might be why I don't seem to notice it in mine. It's just hands down a better trans fluid, lubricates better and disperses heat better

good luck

Old 01-05-2007, 05:59 PM
DakotaMan06

Hey Glk21C,

Thanks for such a fast response, I really do appreciate it. I don’t know a lot about vehicles but what you are saying sounds right to me. I think I will follow your advice. You know what is going to happen, of course, I'll take one of their techs for a ride, and since it isan intermittent problem I won’t be able to cause it to happen. With that said I don’t think there is a way around it, I have to take it in and hope for the best.

You have also mentioned AMSOIL ATF. Did you really change the factory ATF just to put that brand in? You must be a big fan or believer to do that. Maybe that says something, and I should do the same.

Well, thanks again, much appreciated!

Dave

Old 01-05-2007, 06:00 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

I also have the TRX4 HO and though I had a bad front pump on its second day on the road and its leaking I can honestly say there’s no hard shifting. I will say that these Trans are in no-way a smooth shifting unit. It is a bit harsh compared to car tranys. These Trans are also been called a smart Trans as it is computer controlled and I believe that is part of the HO lack of power feeling. There seems to be a lot of HP lost at the wheels more so with the new smart Trans then say Gen2 Daks. I bet the owners of manual Trans feel a much better power curve then the slushy autos.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Glk21C
Professional

yes, I really completely flushed out (not drained, flushed, all 15-17 quarts worth) the MOPAR fluid and put in AMSOIL ATF. I have proof (oil analysis) from my last truck that it is everything they say and then some

yes, the computer controlled shifting for these trans is horrible. It's worst now than the programming that was in my 02 Dak. Borders on being dangerous/unsafe

Old 01-05-2007, 11:57 PM
moosehunter
Professional

Thanks for the info guy's, just got mine last week but will pay close attention to that as well...

So far I like mine and hope the dealler correct your problems DakotaMan06.

Quick Reply: Help! Tranny Problem...I Think???