3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Maybe blowing some of the pay check on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:49 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Maybe blowing some of the pay check on exhaust

yes. i dropped the frt resonator and everything else. paid cash for the system 250.00 out the door.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:35 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I would do in your situation. If you are actually want to go single, going with a three inch won't hurt you low end. I believe my truck has 2.5 and it's dual. With the single, you shouldn't lose any power, but actually gain some since you'll have enough backflow to give you the torque. Go with the 3, but double check with the exhaust shop.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:57 PM
rick4dak
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I dropped the two resonators and stock muffler and replaced with 2.5" into a one-in-two-out Flowmaster, the sound was nice outside, defening inside. Adding an 18" flow thru resonator in front not only reduced the sound inside(and probably outside also) but increased the low end tq.
Since you ar ekeeping the cats, going to 3" will only add to the sound and duals only add to the look. Neither add to the low/mid tq. Mandrel bent pipes only effect highest rpm power on vehicles without cats. Other than that, they are just advertising enhancements.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:16 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

good luck...i'm sure you'll let us know how it all went...i'll be interested to hear.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 AM
herkguy
Veteran

Those numbers seem low but when you use the Gtec you won't see as much as a dyno because of the aerodynamic drag during the run. Better to look at 0-60 improvements and see if you shaved any after several runs. By the way what kind of 0-60 times have you seen for your truck? I was using my Gtec today and my 4900lb qd 4x4 (not including my 230lbs) was running low to mid 8s......itwas however only 45 degrees out. Close to my 01' qd 4x4 but my 01' weighed in 500 pounds lighter.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:55 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional

ORIGINAL: rick4dak

When I dropped the two resonators and stock muffler and replaced with 2.5" into a one-in-two-out Flowmaster, the sound was nice outside, defening inside. Adding an 18" flow thru resonator in front not only reduced the sound inside(and probably outside also) but increased the low end tq.
Since you ar ekeeping the cats, going to 3" will only add to the sound and duals only add to the look. Neither add to the low/mid tq. Mandrel bent pipes only effect highest rpm power on vehicles without cats. Other than that, they are just advertising enhancements.
if that is the case, considering the stock cats are still in place, then even the more expensive Flowmaster and Gibson madnrel bent stainless systems (single pipe) should give the same results as an improvised muffler shop job of the same size?

Old 03-20-2007, 05:15 PM
rick4dak
Veteran

Yes. given the stock cats and the fact that there will be some sort of muffler, any muffler shop bent exhaust pipes will give the same performance improvement.
Stainless is certainly better for corrosion resistance.
3" exhaust will change the sound.
Mandrel-bent will look nicer.
A decent muffler shop can build a system for less $$$ than mail-order. They need to sell the mufflers that you want.
Flowmaster has a distinctive, deep sound that we like in our V8s.
All street-driven vehicles need some back-pressure to help with low end torque. (Remember that torque is what moves a vehicle, horsepower is a mathmatical equasion derived from torque and rpm.)
I know lots of people will dispute most of this but that doesn't change reality.

Quick Reply: Maybe blowing some of the pay check on exhaust