3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Child seat placement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 PM
DC3G
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child seat placement?

I know you're supposed to keep the child seats in the middle, but you can put one in the 3rd row right? if so, how? where do you put the latches or hooks?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 PM
ZCR1
Professional

I have my 3 year old in the third row on the passenger side utilizing the seat belt option through the car seat base and the top Latch strap routed under the headrest and to the back Latch hook. My 5 month old is in a rear facing car seat on the drivers side second row which barely fits (contacts the drivers seat at my setting). This arrangement works really well though, the passenger second row seat folds forward easily allowing access for my 3 yr old and there was still room for my good friend (who is 6'4'') to get to the other third row seat being suprised as to how comfortable he felt back there.

Last edited by ZCR1; 04-15-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:52 AM
DC3G
Amateur

hmmm ... my daughter is a big 3yr old, i also utilized the the top latch strap to the back of the third row, i also have latches that should connect left and right of the bottom, but since there is nowhere to latch them i used this latch on the side of the seat and the other one is just hanging because i dont know where to put it? any suggestions?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 AM
coldsteel
Captain
Exclamation

That's really bad. The Durango only has 2 full LATCH seating positions; 2nd row outside positions. The third row has the hook point for the seat back tether, but not the Lower Anchors. If using the 3rd row you have to use the seat belt securing method. DO NOT only hook one lower anchor and do not just randomly anchor to points that are not designed as LATCH anchor points. Your child's life is worth doing it right.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:21 PM
barho
Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 PM
jdloyd01
Rookie

I have twin 4 year olds and a 2.5 year old (same size as the 4 year olds!). In my van (also a dodge) I do 2 seats in back for the 4 year olds and one in one of the captain chairs. We leave one of the chairs stowed. I was planning on the same config for our Durango (if it ever gets built). However, since my 4 year olds are big enough, we are just using booster seats with backs (also have seat belt positioners) for the 4 year olds. The negates the need for the latch system.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:23 PM
DC3G
Amateur

Originally Posted by coldsteel
That's really bad. The Durango only has 2 full LATCH seating positions; 2nd row outside positions. The third row has the hook point for the seat back tether, but not the Lower Anchors. If using the 3rd row you have to use the seat belt securing method. DO NOT only hook one lower anchor and do not just randomly anchor to points that are not designed as LATCH anchor points. Your child's life is worth doing it right.
Im using the seatbelt also, its a booster seat, but im just used to using the bottom lathes. I do all that i said above and strap the seatbelt across her as well. I have a recaro prosport and there are sections where the seatbelt holds the seat in the waist/shoulders area. I should be ok, i just wish there was those bottom latches.

Quick Reply: Child seat placement?