3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

factory towing vs dealer installed tow package

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:03 PM
janice.davidsen.robinson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory towing vs dealer installed tow package

The 2011 Durango owner manual says towing over 3500 only with factory installed tow package. Is is the same if the dealer installs a tow package? What are the differences? What should we insist on if wanting to tow 5000? thanks if you can help

Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer will/should know what you need. Dealer install is generally the same as factory install as long as they are using the factory parts as if it came form the factory.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:42 PM
cdn_tbird
Amateur

The factory tow package includes:
220-Amp Alternator
7- and 4-Pin Wiring Harness
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Full-Size Spare Tire
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Rear Load Leveling Suspension

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I can't see any dealer replacing major components for the same cost as it coming out of the factory. Is this what the dealer is offering, or are they offering a hitch & wiring?

Old 09-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Robert_Esq
Amateur

Originally Posted by cdn_tbird
The factory tow package includes:
220-Amp Alternator
7- and 4-Pin Wiring Harness
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Full-Size Spare Tire
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Rear Load Leveling Suspension

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I can't see any dealer replacing major components for the same cost as it coming out of the factory. Is this what the dealer is offering, or are they offering a hitch & wiring?
VERY TRUE - At the dealership I went too they only had one Durango at the trim level I wanted. But it didn't have the tow package, most didn't. I had to pay $700 to just buy the hitch and wiring and then have it installed. The installation took a longggg time from removing and cutting the bumper adding the bezel and running the wiring and soldering it. The dealer also accessed uconnect entered the vin and registered it as being dealer installed.

Adding an alternator, larger radiator and rear load leveling suspension will be more than double the factory option.

I think the OP is wrong about the tow limits:
Hitch/wiring only = 3500 lb towing limit in the manual (dated)
Factory Option (including cooling and load leveling) = 6200 lbs (They upped it in response to Ford Explorer's 5000 lbs)

(See Dodge's Website V6 = 6200 lbs V8 =7400 lbs.) * = with factory tow package.

Last edited by Robert_Esq; 09-09-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Henny

I couldn't help but add my two cents when I saw this post, I had wanted to start a thread on this. I had a 2012 Durango with no Tow Package and opted to pay for all $750 of tow equipment aftermarket from the dealer. (since the dealer didn't have any nor could get any, I got the 8-10 week wait line to order one...LMAO) I agree (Robert_Esq) you will never be able get all the parts for even close, even at the sales persons so called cost and a deal on labor. Mine is AWD also

I was told the trucks are completely different and if you add that hitch aftermarket all though the dealer installs it, (mopar) it will only tow 3500LBS with the 3.6 engine. Now factory equipped with the load level, heavy duty 220 alternator, HD cooler and the couple other things added, it will tow 6,00LBS???

Long story short, the dealer swapped my truck after a long crazy ordeal, tell you about that some other time. Now this is my second Durango 2012 within a month...AND THESE two trucks are completely different. All though I can not find any specs or info...the suspension is way tighter (probably due to the load level) and the acceleration is much different believe it or not, quicker and more responsive. I could not believe the difference, trust me, it appears to even shift differently, maybe it just me. I do know that the 2011 had an optional 3.06 rear end at one point in time. Now they say that they are all 3.09 and no option. I called on my vin, I thought maybe the difference was the rear end, but I have the 3.09. So I have no clue why this new truck is so different.

Durango 1 (AWD) with no tow package, the ride felt mushy lazy and soft compared to Durango 2 (AWD). Maybe I had a lemon!!!! I thought the ride was great in Durango 1, no complaints until I got the one with the tow package.

Just my experience. Can anybody add to this, please do.

Last edited by Henny; 03-14-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: factory towing vs dealer installed tow package