3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Load Leveling Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 AM
fuzzyb
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load Leveling Suspension

So I bought the new Durango with the tow package. In that package it lists Load Leveling Suspension as one of the included features / parts. Can anyone tell me what this is / how it works?
(is it just a progressive rate spring like what the stealer said or is there active control of the suspension)
Thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 AM
coldsteel
Captain

It's an airbag suspension with a compressor. The vehicle has an electronic level and if you load up with cargo or attach a trailer, the compressor will boost the airbags so the vehicle maintains a level ride profile. This improves/maintains the vehicle's handling.

Have you ever seen an old Blazer towing something too heavy and the back end is resting on the bump stops and the front tires are practically off the ground?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 AM
2011HEAT
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fuzzyb
So I bought the new Durango with the tow package. In that package it lists Load Leveling Suspension as one of the included features / parts. Can anyone tell me what this is / how it works?
(is it just a progressive rate spring like what the stealer said or is there active control of the suspension)
Thanks!
The "stealer", that's hilarious! Never heard that before but I like it

Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 AM
kingofwylietx
Professional

Okay, I was under my Durango the other day. I looked at the rear shocks to see how they do the 'load leveling suspension'....I didn't see anything plumbed to the shocks. Where does the air line enter?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
coldsteel
Captain

I haven't looked. Here is the only description I could find on Dodge.com

"Durango features available premium load leveling rear shocks. These shocks mechanically pump up when the vehicle has added rear payload. When the payload is initially added the car will squat like standard suspension, but as the shock is stroked (during normal driving), the gas pressure will increase until the shock reaches the level design height (Included in the trailer tow package)."

Also in the Owner's manual the following positions: J01, M2, M15 all reference air suspension. So if it isn't exactly an 'airbag' in the typical sense, it would seem the air chamber in the shock is pressurized to raise the rear height to level.

Quick Reply: Load Leveling Suspension