3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Another win for the Durango

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 PM
ZCR1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another win for the Durango

Thanks to the Texas Automotive Writers Association.

http://automotive.einnews.com/pr_new...rs-association

Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 PM
TonyCrew
Professional

Originally Posted by ZCR1
Thanks to the Texas Automotive Writers Association.

http://automotive.einnews.com/pr_new...rs-association
good reading!

i especially like this part
With Durango's standard seven-passenger seating
except for the HEAT, which my family loved (wanting the V6)... someone decided that you CANNOT get the third row in that model.... whoever that is needs to explain this to me......in detail

Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TC, what's so difficult to understand? It is product positioning and price point marketing.

There is the Lux, Crew, Citadel all with 3 rows and v6 or v8s and the same basic stylings.

There there is the R/T with a bit more exterior flash being lower, a different fascia, monochromatic paint with the v8.

The Heat matches the R/T in styling, is the only stable mate that comes with the v6 only and also the only stable mate with no third row seating.

Many modifiers from the street scene crowds will take the lower stance, paint scheme and front fascia and then fill that rear space... left open by no non-needed third row... and fill it with speakers, subs, AV gear, etc.

Add to that the 3 or 4 person family crowd that would love the added cargo space the Heat provides as they simply have zero use for a third row. The Heat is again perfectly spaced for them.

It is all price points and styling choices. It makes perfect sense to offer at least one model with all the looks coupled with the value sensibilities of only offering the v6 and 5 passenger seating.

I want mega performance (think SRT) with R/T+ looks (think SRT) AND a SHORTER rear end (think JGC) in the Durango badging. I don't want nor need the huge *** overhang that the Gen3 hauls around past the rear doors. But I do want all the looks, all the performance and the Durango badging. Which is why I haven't just sprung for the JGC SRT8.

Give me a 6.4L SRT8 Shorty-Gen3 any day over the mile long Airstream Trailer version we have now and I'll buy TWO!

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 10-25-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:38 PM
TonyCrew
Professional

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
TC, what's so difficult to understand? It is product positioning and price point marketing.

There is the Lux, Crew, Citadel all with 3 rows and v6 or v8s and the same basic stylings.

There there is the R/T with a bit more exterior flash being lower, a different fascia, monochromatic paint with the v6 or v8 option.

The Heat matches the R/T in styling, is the only stable mate that comes with the v6 only and also the only stable mate with no third row seating.

Many modifiers from the street scene crowds will take the lower stance, paint scheme and front fascia and then fill that rear space... left open by no non-needed third row... and fill it with speakers, subs, AV gear, etc.

Add to that the 3 or 4 person family crowd that would love the added cargo space the Heat provides as they simply have zero use for a third row. The Heat is again perfectly spaced for them.

It is all price points and styling choices. It makes perfect sense to offer at least one model with all the looks coupled with the value sensibilities of only offering the v6 and 5 passenger seating.

I want mega performance (think SRT) with R/T+ looks (think SRT) AND a SHORTER rear end (think JGC) in the Durango badging. I don't want nor need the huge *** overhang that the Gen3 hauls around past the rear doors. But I do want all the looks, all the performance and the Durango badging. Which is why I haven't just sprung for the JGC SRT8.

Give me a 6.4L SRT8 Shorty-Gen3 any day over the mile long Airstream Trailer version we have now and I'll buy TWO!

IndyDurango
see the bold section.. you would be wrong on that, thanks anyway..

now understand my dilemma? i wanted the heat looks and a V6 with a 3rd row. didn't know it was asking too much. i would've paid $1000 more for it, but they never offered it.

The R/T is available only with the 360-hp 5.7-liter Hemi, though you can choose between all-wheel drive and rear drive.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1blHPlK7m
such a no brainer, even you thought "we" could have the nice monochrome scheme and a third row with a V6?

Last edited by TonyCrew; 10-24-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:04 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

You asked about the reasons behind the Heat and now you want to nitpick a spec on the R/T. You're not one of those left wing liberals that change argument points on a dime when they are on the losing end of their initial discussion are you?

On the 2011 INITIAL RELEASE, the HEMI is an OPTION on ALL models of the Gen3. There was no Heat or R/T on initial release. No model had the HEMI as standard equipment. As the Heat was introduced, the Heat got the v6 and the R/T got the v8 however that was not the initial standard. The R/T is v8 only and my cut and paste above has been corrected.

Here, this may help.

September 2, 2010 press release date, directly from Chrysler media themselves, initial vehicle announcement... and I quote, "The all-new Durango features two engine options: the standard fuel-efficient 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine and the available 5.7-liter HEMI engine with fuel-saving, Multi-displacement system (MDS) four-cylinder mode."
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsre...d=9946&mid=287

November 1, 2010 press release date, directly from Chrysler media themselves, initial lineup announcement for the Gen3 was the Durango Express, Crew, CrewLux and Citadel packages only:
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsre...=10173&mid=287

I was wrong once, but it had nothing to do with the Durango. I got married.
j/k wifey!!

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 10-25-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM
ZCR1
Professional

And they keep coming... " The Dodge Durango was rated as the most reliable large SUV."-Consumer Reports.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/24/auto...P_LN&hpt=hp_c2

Old 10-26-2011, 01:40 PM
TonyCrew
Professional

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
You asked about the reasons behind the Heat and now you want to nitpick a spec on the R/T. You're not one of those left wing liberals that change argument points on a dime when they are on the losing end of their initial discussion are you?

On the 2011 INITIAL RELEASE, the HEMI is an OPTION on ALL models of the Gen3. There was no Heat or R/T on initial release. No model had the HEMI as standard equipment. As the Heat was introduced, the Heat got the v6 and the R/T got the v8 however that was not the initial standard. The R/T is v8 only and my cut and paste above has been corrected.

Here, this may help.

September 2, 2010 press release date, directly from Chrysler media themselves, initial vehicle announcement... and I quote, "The all-new Durango features two engine options: the standard fuel-efficient 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine and the available 5.7-liter HEMI engine with fuel-saving, Multi-displacement system (MDS) four-cylinder mode."
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsre...d=9946&mid=287

November 1, 2010 press release date, directly from Chrysler media themselves, initial lineup announcement for the Gen3 was the Durango Express, Crew, CrewLux and Citadel packages only:
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsre...=10173&mid=287

I was wrong once, but it had nothing to do with the Durango. I got married.
j/k wifey!!

IndyD
i think you described exactly what you did lol.

let me make this as simple as possible. Dodge only offers the Heat/RT look with a V6 and no third row. i need the third row. i NEED the V6. i liked the look of the Heat/RT. What was I to do? I had to sacrifice the exterior look to preserve the two "NEEDS". I was just pointing out a "flaw" in their lineup. I am sure they would've sold a ton more Heats if there was a third row option. just my $.02.

Having said that, congrats on the designers/engineers, i love my truck (just hate the plasticky crap around the whole thing.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 AM
2011HEAT
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyCrew
i think you described exactly what you did lol.

let me make this as simple as possible. Dodge only offers the Heat/RT look with a V6 and no third row. i need the third row. i NEED the V6. i liked the look of the Heat/RT. What was I to do? I had to sacrifice the exterior look to preserve the two "NEEDS". I was just pointing out a "flaw" in their lineup. I am sure they would've sold a ton more Heats if there was a third row option. just my $.02.

Having said that, congrats on the designers/engineers, i love my truck (just hate the plasticky crap around the whole thing.
I feel your pain Tony. If the Heat came with the third row, I would have kept it. We bought it thinking we could do without extra seating but soon realized we couldn't so we went R/T but in doing so we also got the HEMI. I agree with Indy that it was a strategically placed price point that would be a better choice for modders possibly. NO more Heats for 2012+ so 2011 Heat should be in demand for years to come.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 AM
cokey

So if we need 3rd row, want the hemi and the lower stance can it be purchased? If not, mod away.. lol wifes not going to like tha seeing as i dump enough $ modding the neon srt..

Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Originally Posted by cokey
So if we need 3rd row, want the hemi and the lower stance can it be purchased? If not, mod away.. lol wifes not going to like tha seeing as i dump enough $ modding the neon srt..
Yes. That is exactly the R/T model.

IndyDurango

Quick Reply: Another win for the Durango