3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

roof rack for R/T?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:38 PM
all2matt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roof rack for R/T?

so I went to the dealer to get the factory roof rack installed on my R/T, so they order the rack and all listed mounting hardware. I go back to get it installed and they tell me they "no can do". so apparently the roof shell on an R/T is different from the rest of the durangos. they need a squared punch to be able to install the rack that comes factory on all other models.

has anybody else had one installed? are there any option besides the wretched lookin one by thule?

i want one thats more sleek like the factory one, ideas?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I can tell, there are only 2 roof panels.......one with and one without sunroof opening. All of the factory roof racks are attached with rivot nuts which use round holes

Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But, we do have 2 RT's on our lot and neither have a roof rack. But the roof panel looks the same as any other that didn't have a roof rack.....hmmmm.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
46fever
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We tried to get dealer installed factory roof rack, but when the dealer tried to order the parts they were told that Dodge would not sell them. . . apparently there is a risk of disabling the side-curtain airbags if holes are punched in roof. . . that's what we were told.

They offered the clamp-on Thule, but I said I would look around.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM
s_alish
Default durango 2012 roof installing roof rail issue

Hi,

I have the same issue with my durango, i order the roof rails from dealer, and my roof does not have threads or holes for fixing,

the delar said that they can do it by making holes in the roof, but they have to remove the interior roof , they are checking how much does this cost me !!!!!!!

I am sure that it should be an easy way to do it,

does any one have the chance to solve this problem.

Regards,
Samer,

Old 10-17-2012, 03:22 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

S alish,

The front to rear roof rack is a factory installed option. If you are seeking other options, other then having to bolt it to your roof, there is a removable roof rack available. For more information you can contact your parts department and reference part#TR486016.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 AM
s_alish

Thank you very much for the reply,

I have one question related to the subject,
How can i get the instruction to fix the factory rail on my car, I need to do in in my friend garage, but i need the right instruction to do it, drill and fix,

Thank you,
Samer,

Old 11-25-2012, 04:47 AM
s_alish
Default Instruction on installing roof rail Durango 2012

Hi,

No one can help on how to install the factory roof side rail on 2012 DUrango ?

I need some help here, the dealer said that they havnt did this before !!!!!

Do i need to do it my self, i know the this need some drilling to the roof, but i need instruction or maybe hints from some one did it before.

Samer,

Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 PM
notrealtall
Default Just replaced roof panel w/rack, due to tree falling on it

I just put a roof panel on a new Durango and it had roof racks. to my surprise they did offer a roof panel with the holes already in it. so I made a template for place location from old one. Now, I install the nut inserts they gave me, wtf, they were hexagon inserts so I drill a hole until I could barely squeeze in nut insert. put a wrench on bottom nut insert with someone holding it, I used a 3/8 impact gun and a temp. bolt on top with some spacers, and tightened them up. It compressed the nut insert tightly. not and easy job. fyi used some sealer around nut insert. holes get drilled slightly to the inside of roof area and will not hit side airbags. DRILL HOLE AND STOP WHEN THE BIT GOES THREW METAL. complete headliner needs to come out. dealer wont do it because its a BALLSEE job , no room for error

Originally Posted by s_alish
Hi,

No one can help on how to install the factory roof side rail on 2012 DUrango ?

I need some help here, the dealer said that they havnt did this before !!!!!

Do i need to do it my self, i know the this need some drilling to the roof, but i need instruction or maybe hints from some one did it before.

Samer,

Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 PM
notrealtall

sorry dealer didn't offer a roof panel with holes already in in panel. car had a tree branch fall on roof, that's the reason for replacement

Quick Reply: roof rack for R/T?