3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

All He Saw Was the R/T....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM
JRRF
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011HEAT
... I haven't seen the prize in getting punked either?!?!?
The prize for getting "punked" and not responding is that you arrive alive.
I could tell you several stories of things I did like this when I was younger that I regretted. I learned the hard way to not bother with a--holes on the road.

I'm also not looking to have a punk in a "bimmer" blatantly cut me off and not do anything about it.
Well, let's see. You could shoot him and try to get away with murder. You could drive him off the road and turn his pesky bimmer into trash (also a crime). Or you could do what you did, and risk your own safety and your car. None of these are really good options. I'm not saying I don't know how you feel -- I do. But the best option is to let him tear away as fast as he can, you slowly pull away and he realizes that you don't give a sh-t about him or his bimmer. You also then know that he will likely wrap his car around a pole if he keeps it up.

And when it comes to driver vs. car, there have been studies done by the DOT that show the driver has much more to do with it than the car. A professional driver in a Camry will smoke you/I in a Corvette. Maybe not in a straight line, but once at speed, you'll lose control of the vette while the professional continues to keep his Camry at full speed on the road or on the track.

Don't feel so bad 2011 Heat. I'll bet we've all done what you did at one time or another. I've banged up some cars doing it. That's why I suggest you think twice about putting yourself or your Durango at risk. It's too nice a car, and you're probably too nice a guy.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 PM
2011HEAT
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

JRRF, I appreciate the advice. Self admission here - I let A-holes on the road get to me and in the end I know its only a matter of time until it catches up with me so I will refrain from stooping to their level and adding to the problem. It is definitely NOT easy especially for me but I've got too much to loose to let pride get in the way....

Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 PM
rdkind62
Professional

Being a member of bimmerfest myself I can assure that had he "won" in his competition against you and your D he wouldn't have posted it in the forum unless he was looking to be ridiculed. Most people that drive BMW's could care less about a Durango and chances are it wasn't even his car unless it was of the E46 generation. But as people have mentioned above, street racing of any kind is just silly and can lead to nothing other than trouble. Its just a matter of time.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 PM
MiamiRT
Veteran

The forum police should lay off this guy. He was just posting about a kill he had in his new R/T. He has every right to be excited about this. No one is condoning street racing but for those of us who have or will have Durango R/T's we are more performance truck oriented. We will from time to time run into street scenarios and we will just have to be smart as to how we handle these situations. We don't need lectures here, IMO. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 AM
mazda3ndp
Professional

I own a few bmw's and picked up my 11' durango as my winter vehicle. When I am in my m3, it gets annoying when everything wants to race you and if I'm in the fast lane, FORGET IT... everyone rides me or cuts me off to get my attention to show me they have a nice car too or whatever... cars try do stupid **** to get my attention, or think i am trying to race because Im doing 51 in a 50 (exaggerating)...

I understand you love your RT, I would have gotten one but all they had were citadels, and Crews at my dealer. My hemi feels great too, it has the acceleration of a car in a truck... but according to motortrend the durango RT does, "0-60-mph time of 7.3 seconds and 15.5 seconds at 90.8 mph". Decent numbers for a truck, but even a run of the mill 3-deries does "0-60-mph sprint of 6.4 seconds en route to a quarter-mile time of 14.6 seconds at 94.7 mph" according to edmunds.

Im not saying you didnt race him, or you didn't beat him, Im assuring you he probably wasnt paying attention or was wondering what the F you were doing. Either way, congrats on your RT, I am envious, I wish I had held out for one over the Crew with hemi.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM
rdkind62
Professional

Originally Posted by MiamiRT
The forum police should lay off this guy. He was just posting about a kill he had in his new R/T. He has every right to be excited about this. No one is condoning street racing but for those of us who have or will have Durango R/T's we are more performance truck oriented. We will from time to time run into street scenarios and we will just have to be smart as to how we handle these situations. We don't need lectures here, IMO. Thanks.

If he is posting about a "kill" as you call it then I would suggest that maybe the guy he was racing at the time probably wasn't racing at all, just like mazda3 said above and like I said too. Its great we have or will have nice pretty new trucks but the bottom line is if a BMW wanted to race one of our R/T's then I'm afraid we would be the one getting "killed". I don't mean to break anybody's heart here but the D is fast for an SUV but not comparable to any form of BMW. So, if you like to talk about a stoplight to stoplight race and you feel like you really showed that other guy who was boss then expect to hear from somebody that has a little perspective. If you don't want to hear it then don't post it.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 PM
2011HEAT
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Miami thanks for backing me up. I'm afraid they're all right tho.... I lied, it was really a late 90's Hyundai Accent I always get that and any bimmer mixed up..... No wonder why I smoked him.

Secret bimmer fans on the Dodge forum get really pissy...

Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice

Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 AM
rdkind62
Professional

Miami thanks for backing me up. I'm afraid they're all right tho.... I lied, it was really a late 90's Hyundai Accent I always get that and any bimmer mixed up..... No wonder why I smoked him.

Secret bimmer fans on the Dodge forum get really pissy...

No "secret" Bimmer fan here. It happens to be my vehicle of choice and the R/T is for my wife. If you happen to come to Colorado Springs in your D and see my car around town let me know. I'll let you look at the front before we go because that wil be the last time you see it front that side. And of course this will be on a track where it belongs.

Last edited by rdkind62; 02-20-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 AM
MiamiRT
Veteran

Sorry to brake it to you, but bimmer's aren't all that. There a dime a dozen around here and I used to smoke them with regularity in my modded TBSS. Thats not to say your car isn't very nice but around Miami everyone has a bimmer. Hopefully once tuning becomes available for these rigs the accompanying bolt on's will follow. This could be a real sleeper 7pass suv.

Quick Reply: All He Saw Was the R/T....