3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Brake Controller Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Stoopalini
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Controller Installed

I finally got my Tekonsha P3 brake controller installed today. The install was very straight forward.

1st, remove the thin, felt cover from under the driver's side dash. It's held in by 2 plastic push clips.

Then locate the factory brake controller connector above the white box, to the left of the OBD-II connector. Only vehicles with the factory installed tow package will have this connector. Dealer installed hitches will not have this connector.

I then soldered the factory pigtail which came with the vehicle to the P3's wiring harness, and wrapped it with some wire loom. I connected the new harness to the factory connector, and ran the wires to the right, behind the OBD-II connector, then down.

I installed the mount right behind the knee guard/panel, and didn't drill into the actual panel. Basically, I installed it just to the right of the mounting hole for the plastic push pin which holds the felt cover in place.

This allows the wire harness to come through the OBD-II connector's hole in the cover.

and mounted the controller

All in all. very easy install. I chose to use the plastic snap in mount, so I can just unplug the harnes and remove the controller from the vehicle easily; since it's the wife's daily driver and will only see tow duty on race weekends (6-8 per year)

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info...

Old 04-08-2012, 08:11 AM
///AMG Hauler
Rookie

Very much appreciated! I have a P3 on the way along with the vehicle specific harness. Once my LockPick and reverse camera arrive I'll have a weekend project ahead.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 AM
John Schneidmiller

GREAT writeup and pictures!! I hope you do the same when you install your back-up camera; I would like to put one on my R/T.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Stoopalini
Rookie

Originally Posted by John Schneidmiller
GREAT writeup and pictures!! I hope you do the same when you install your back-up camera; I would like to put one on my R/T.
Thanks, believe it or not the pictures were taken with my iPhone's camera LOL

My D came with a factory installed backup-cam though, so I can't help you there. Maybe AMG Hauler will do a write-up when he installs his?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:08 PM
drose

I am thinking of adding the controller but still have not found a suitable place to integrate. It looks like you may have a bit of a reach to the controller if you need to brake on the fly with the controller. The local dealer wants to install it for me and bolt it "wherever they see fit". I am not happy with that answer. I was then told they need to "flash" the computer in order for it to work. (this sounds a bit odd due to the fact that I have installed several of these in other vehicles 2012 and older and not once had to do this) THOUGHTS? thanks for the help. Dalton

Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Stoopalini
Rookie

I find the location I installed it to be perfect. It's not that far to reach if I need to, but honestly, I've never found a need to manually brake with it even with a ~6000lb load. Once you have it setup for the load you are carrying, you will barely know the load is there when braking, it works very well.

I did not have to flash my PCM for this to work, but my Durango came with the factory Tow Group package. Did yours? If so, then you shouldn't need anything flashed for it to work.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Frohoss
Rookie
Question Help asap

I just plugged in my brand new Tekonsha P3 brake controller and it failed to power on. So I tested the wire harness and have no power to that either.

Does anyone know which fuse it is in the fuse box? I looked up and down in my durangos manual and found nothing for the brake control fuse.

Know any other troubleshooting tips for this issue?

2012 Durango Crew with factory tow package.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Norge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stoopalini
Then locate the factory brake controller connector above the white box, to the left of the OBD-II connector. Only vehicles with the factory installed tow package will have this connector. Dealer installed hitches will not have this connector.
If they installed all the correct harnesses along with the hitch it will. It's the 82210512AC Tow Wiring Adapter. I installed it on mine and use the same brake controller, mine's just mounted to the left a little right next to the hood release.
Originally Posted by drose
I was then told they need to "flash" the computer in order for it to work. (this sounds a bit odd due to the fact that I have installed several of these in other vehicles 2012 and older and not once had to do this) THOUGHTS?
The only need to flash is if you have a factory non-tow equipped model and add the factory option Trailer Tow Wiring Harness 82212196AB (does not include the Electric Brake Kit Harness listed above). Once the tow wire harness is added, it's not active until they turn it on in the PCM.
Originally Posted by Frohoss
I just plugged in my brand new Tekonsha P3 brake controller and it failed to power on. So I tested the wire harness and have no power to that either.
Did you check for power at the actual plug Stoopalini shows to the left of the OBD connector or through the harness to the plug for the controller? You'll want to check at the actual plug. It could be mis-wiring between the pigtails or the factory harness pigtail could be mis-wired. It happened with the one my kit had, Mopar had wired it backwards.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Frohoss
Rookie

Originally Posted by Frohoss

Does anyone know which fuse it is in the fuse box? I looked up and down in my durangos manual and found nothing for the brake control fuse.

Know any other troubleshooting tips for this issue?

2012 Durango Crew with factory tow package.

Thanks
**SOLVED**

I ended up taking it to the dealer. No flash was needed. They found and replaced a blown fuse. Problem fixed and I'm up and running.

If you encounter this issue, locate your fuse box under the hood and check slot J9 (E-Brake) 30 amp/32 volt pink JCase fuse.

Quick Reply: Brake Controller Installed