3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Paint Protection Film (3M style)- ANYONE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 PM
RustyRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film (3M style)- ANYONE?

Spending $38,000 on an R/T (okay, $35k after USAA and Dodge Incentives) kind of makes me want to get some sort of plastic sheeting paint protection professionally installed the day I get delivery on her (which I hope is in 4 weeks)...

Has anyone gotten any paint protection film installed?
Does anyone have any advice for me (us)?

I got the Metallic Grey paint scheme on my 2012 R/T...if that makes a difference.

THANKS!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new ride! I love the stuff, I have put it on every vehicle I have had in the last 6 years or so. I went with this company http://www.xpel.com/ they have very good patterns from what I have seen and from what I have heard from other places. Here are some picture of my R/T being done, I have since wrecked it and am getting ready to have the same guy do it again. I also use it for the mirrors, door sills, and underneath the door handles. I have not kept a vehicle over about three years so I can not speak for it yellowing over time, I can say that what I put on was a lifetime warranty against cracking/yellowing. Make sure you get a price quote as I paid WAY less than what it shows online for our model, the local installer sets the price. Good luck.
http://clearbraofjax.com/gallery/?album=157&gallery=137

Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM
navyjetmech
Rookie

I honestly have not had any problems with my front bumper from rocks or road debris. I have had my Durango for a year and no chips on the bumper.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:52 AM
rdkind62
Professional

I have seen several people put the protective film on their vehicles and initially it looks pretty good. If you have them install it to where you partially cover the hood then you can see the line, and as it gets older it becomes more visible. If you use it to cover your entire front end without going up on to the hood then it usually looks pretty good. The newer stuff does not seem to yellow much so I don't think that is of much concern, and if it does start to look bad you can always take a heat gun to it and remove it.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM
RustyRT

Thanks for the link and the advice. Dam that car is hot!!

I CANNOT WAIT TO GET MINE!!!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdkind62
I have seen several people put the protective film on their vehicles and initially it looks pretty good. If you have them install it to where you partially cover the hood then you can see the line, and as it gets older it becomes more visible. If you use it to cover your entire front end without going up on to the hood then it usually looks pretty good. The newer stuff does not seem to yellow much so I don't think that is of much concern, and if it does start to look bad you can always take a heat gun to it and remove it.
I agree 100% I'm not a big fan of how visible it is or the way it discolors over time.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film (3M style)- ANYONE?