Door Panel Removal for New Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012 | 09:27 PM
SINISTERRT
|
Veteran
Default Door Panel Removal for New Speakers

Hey guys,

I'm installing Polk db 6x9 in the front doors and polk db 6 1/2 in the rear doors this weekend. Anyone done a speaker swap yet? Tips on safely removing the door panels?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2012 | 07:10 AM
baum
Professional

if i could remember i would tell you the exact steps. i did my speakers about 8 months ago (sorry). if i remember correctly most of the screws are visible. The one thing i can tell you is the clips (pop pins or whaterver you want to call them) are very tough, they may break. it wasnt hard at all.

if you search on there there was another member i posted the wire colors for also (pos, neg) i would say within the last month and a half or so.

Old 05-05-2012 | 08:35 PM
SINISTERRT
|
Veteran

One screw by each door handle and everything else are push locking tabs.

Old 07-14-2012 | 11:51 AM
Stoopalini
Rookie

I'm trying to get the passenger's side panel off right now to replace the side mirror.

I've got all the push pin/clips disengaged, and it seems like the panel is still attached behind the door handle. Not the pull handle, where the single bolt is, but the door handle which you pull to open the door.

Is there a screw I'm missing here? The panel is free enough where I can rotate it about 6" in either direction around the point behind the handle, but it just won't release.

I've looked and looked, but don't see a fastener to remove in order to release it. I also tried just pulling (in case it's another push clip), but the panel was bending so much I thought it was going to snap.

Old 07-14-2012 | 12:24 PM
Scottina11heat
All Star

yes...there is a little panel that will pop off behind the door handle. Use a trim stick to pop it off

Old 07-14-2012 | 01:10 PM
Stoopalini
Rookie

Perfect, thanks! I used a 90* pick and popped it off.

So, for future searchers, there is one bolt in the center of the door, in the pull handle cavity (under a small plastic door) and there's a Philips head screw located in the door handle's cavity, behind the plastic panel (which doesn't appear to be removable at 1st glance).

Quick Reply: Door Panel Removal for New Speakers