Programming Memory to Key (RKE)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
46fever
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Programming Memory to Key (RKE)

This ALMOST drove me insane.

I must be dense because I had to read the manual 10 times to figure out how to program the "key" to remember our individual settings.

My wife and I each had different stored settings on buttons 1 & 2 . . my wife kept losing hers, and I think it was because she was hitting "S" before she was hitting "2". . . so I decided to see if I could get them programmed to the keys, so that she would never have to touch the door buttons.

Quick steps, for those who want to try this:
- ignition switch to "ON"
- position seat, driver mirror, steering column, radio presets
- ignition "OFF"
- "S" on door
- "1" or "2" (do it quick*)
- "lock" button on RKE key (do it quick*)
- ignition "ON" (do it quick*)

* the manual says "within 5 seconds". I was never clear if this meant all these steps had to occur within 5 seconds after the "S", or you have 5 seconds each. I know I had a lot of failed attempts, and it only seemed to work if I did all of them within 5 seconds total.

I will not embarrass myself and say how long it took me to get 2 keys programmed to the two different settings. . . I was excited though when I could finally bring a key to the door, have everything change to that key's settings. (consistently)

Next day though, my wife called me to say, "the Durango stayed in your settings when I got in" . . I couldn't believe it. . . later that evening I did a test, and it seemed to be working fine.

After two more days of this, it dawned on me: She had the key in her purse, opened back door to put purse in back seat, then went to front. She was not going thru the "unlock" step (where the lights flash etc.) by touching driver door handle with key outside the door.

Hopefully this helps someone else with similar issues.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 PM
MrSnowflake
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post, this is likely to come in handy. I did a similar thing, but since I am the only driver of my D I made all settings the same for both positions, other than SAT and FM radio stations. Now I get twice the selection with the push of a button...haha!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:15 PM
46fever
Professional

Originally Posted by MrSnowflake
Now I get twice the selection with the push of a button...haha!
Clever!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 AM
coldsteel
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other tip that I will add is that I found it more reliable to pop-out the push button and use the FOB in the ignition manually to program the keys. Using the button always cycles through ACC rather than just kind of skipping by it with the FOB.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran

Originally Posted by coldsteel
One other tip that I will add is that I found it more reliable to pop-out the push button and use the FOB in the ignition manually to program the keys. Using the button always cycles through ACC rather than just kind of skipping by it with the FOB.
The CD tells you to do it that way, but the phone app does not. I too found the button out works better.

Quick Reply: Programming Memory to Key (RKE)