3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Getting power directly from battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:27 PM
lordrichter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting power directly from battery

Does anyone know if the 2012 Durango SXT has any issue with pulling power directly from the battery under the passenger seat?

I need to install a radio transmitter, nothing more then a 15A power requirement. However, I have heard rumors that on some newer vehicles there exists a battery monitoring system that may assume that it knows about all drains on the battery and that pulling directly from the battery may mislead it into thinking that there is a problem with the battery.

Am I going to have problems pulling 10-15A directly from the battery or do I need to pull off of something under the hood and come back in through the firewall?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:03 AM
baum
Professional

No, you can use the battery under the seat. thats where most go for the constant power for an amp (myself included). However do you really want it evergized when the vehicle is turned off?? if not you may need to look into adding a relay. if its on when the vehicle is not it could cause a battery drain issue

Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 AM
lordrichter

Thanks for the reply.

I will install a physical power switch that I can flip to cut power if necessary, but I will protect the battery using a low voltage switch from Powerwerx. That will trip if the voltage drops below 11v or so to prevent drain when the alternator is not running.

Edit: May I ask, since it sounds like people have done this, it is rather cramped under the seat and I am not sure what means to use to connect to the battery. There are a couple places that look like power wires can be connected. On the negative side, either at the battery clamp or where the negative wire is grounded. The ground looks better than the battery, but is way harder to get to. On the positive side, at the battery clamp or where the positive wire bolts to the battery clamp, the latter of which looks best. There is voltage on the bolts that tighten the battery clamp, but I am not familiar with that design of clamp and not sure if that is a solid connection to the battery terminal.

Last edited by lordrichter; 07-31-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Getting power directly from battery