3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 Citadel Hemi Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Kwdriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what it looked like when you started it after the service department overfilled the engine oil.

Dont know if that caused any damage to the vehicle but it was about an inch above the fill line even after running it, just one more thing thats documented for my case.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:22 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So wait, this problem happened AFTER they overfilled the engine oil? If so, it's VERY likely that is the cause of the problem. Had a customer bring their Toyota Corolla into the shop I worked at and he put like 10 quarts of oil in this 4 cylinder motor. He wasn't as lucky as you, his motor was completely blown. Good thing for you is you didn't do this yourself.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Kwdriver

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
So wait, this problem happened AFTER they overfilled the engine oil? If so, it's VERY likely that is the cause of the problem. Had a customer bring their Toyota Corolla into the shop I worked at and he put like 10 quarts of oil in this 4 cylinder motor. He wasn't as lucky as you, his motor was completely blown. Good thing for you is you didn't do this yourself.
The noise got considerably louder after they did that, which was around 4000( six month service) miles. So I first noticed a small noise at 1900 miles, Overfilled at 4000 and now at 8500 miles you can hear it even after running it for a while. Sucks

Old 08-11-2012, 03:39 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! How long did you drive it with the engine overfilled? If it was overfilled enough to smoke like that then it's definitely the cause of your engine damage. There is no disputing that at all. Once you show the rep this vid, a new engine will be in your future without a doubt! I can't believe they even let the vehicle back to you with the engine overfilled. It's common to accidentally overfill an engine, but to actually let it go without checking it and draining some out is just incompetent.

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 08-11-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Kwdriver

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
Wow! How long did you drive it with the engine overfilled? If it was overfilled enough to smoke like that then it's definitely the cause of your engine damage. There is no disputing that at all. Once you show the rep this vid, a new engine will be in your future without a doubt! I can't believe they even let the vehicle back to you with the engine overfilled. It's common to accidentally overfill an engine, but to actually let it go without checking it and draining some out is just incompetent.
Drove it to the house that day and brought it back a day later for the smoking and they also forgot to put my engine cover back on. These guys are tools

Old 08-13-2012, 08:41 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwdriver
Well here is the current issue I am having with my Citadel and I need some opinions from the community. It all started when the vehicle just had 1900 miles and I noticed a slight knocking or ticking noise in the engine, knowing that some engines have the Hemi tick I still decided to bring it in and have it documented. So fast forward a few months, several dealer visits for the engine, engine being overfilled with oil by dealer, rack and pinion replaced, intermediate shaft replaced and other small issues the knocking has progressively gotten worst. The truck has 8500 miles now and the knocking can be heard even after reaching operating temperature, the service manager says its normal and could be piston slap but the general manager says it sounds like crap and its not normal. So now on tuesday the regional manager for Chrysler is coming down to look at the vehicle, which brings me to my questions.

1. Has anyone had the same knocking sound in their engines?
Video is located: http://youtu.be/mum9tIo2Sog

2. What should I be asking for when I speak to the regional guy? New engine?

Dont know if my vehicle was put together on a Monday after the workers had a long weekend but its just too many things going wrong.Its sad that Ive had so many issues with this one vehicle, I loved the feel of it until all these things came up. Any other input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

KW,

I would suggest you contact Chrysler directly and document with them all that has happened so the Chrysler rep can understand the entire story when they read your file. I would find it hard to believe when the rep comes to look at your vehicle that the dealer will let them know about overfilling the oil and the other things you have mentioned here. At least get your information documented with Chrysler in case you take the case further later. Chrysler can also try and get their techs involved if the dealer or rep cannot figure out the issue. Numbers below.

800-992-1997 United States
800-465-2001 Canada

Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Kwdriver

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
KW,

I would suggest you contact Chrysler directly and document with them all that has happened so the Chrysler rep can understand the entire story when they read your file. I would find it hard to believe when the rep comes to look at your vehicle that the dealer will let them know about overfilling the oil and the other things you have mentioned here. At least get your information documented with Chrysler in case you take the case further later. Chrysler can also try and get their techs involved if the dealer or rep cannot figure out the issue. Numbers below.

800-992-1997 United States
800-465-2001 Canada
Thanks for the info and thats great advice, I am dropping the truck off today and tomorrow afternoon the rep comes in. I plan on being there and filling him on everything thats happened so far, but your right that if its not documented with them its just as easy to disregard. Ill keep everyone posted.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 PM
dwolson2
Professional

are they giving you a rental while its down? I would also puch for that. No need for you to work around their F* ups.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Kwdriver

Originally Posted by dwolson2
are they giving you a rental while its down? I would also puch for that. No need for you to work around their F* ups.
No rental because the service manager believes its normal for my vehicle and I am doing this on my own accord. Dropped it off a few hours ago to sit overnight and Ill be there tomorrow afternoon, hopefully this Chrysler rep isnt a tool also but Ill let everyone know.

Now is it me or most of the people that work in these "service" departments have no mechanical experience? that is they know how to follow a flow chart or hook up a computer but when it actually comes down to doing actual mechanical diagnostics they get an F.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 AM
SadaraS
Professional

Originally Posted by Kwdriver
No rental because the service manager believes its normal for my vehicle and I am doing this on my own accord. Dropped it off a few hours ago to sit overnight and Ill be there tomorrow afternoon, hopefully this Chrysler rep isnt a tool also but Ill let everyone know.

Now is it me or most of the people that work in these "service" departments have no mechanical experience? that is they know how to follow a flow chart or hook up a computer but when it actually comes down to doing actual mechanical diagnostics they get an F.
Fortunately, the mechanics at my dealership are pretty awesome!! I've been using these guys for nearly 20 years through various Dodges and a Jeep. They have done great work every single time!!

Quick Reply: 2012 Citadel Hemi Knocking