3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

remote USB port stopped working recently...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 PM
cwilliamt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote USB port stopped working recently...

Hi, all,

Have a 2012 Durango coming on a year old...with a remote USB port in the center console...I just noticed yesterday that it stopped working...no power or anything. I've done all the obvious things...checked the ipod fire wire (it works in the radio USB port just fine)...tried both an ipod Nano and iphone in the remote USB port...neither receive power. No new software on the Nano. My iOS on the I phone is 5.0 (again...no streaming issues...seems to be a port hardware issue.)

I've used this port regularly in the past but stopped using in favor of streaming bluetooth from my phone (which works well)...but I needed to give a charge to the old Nano yesterday and the port just seemed dead.

Is there a specific fuse I can check for this port? I can't seem to find mention of them in the manual or searching on-line. I read about pulling the fuse for the radio and essentially "rebooting"the system in some other posts for USB issues...any thoughts...is this a good idea for this type of problem? I can't easily get at the wiring in the console (or can't figure it out) to check the connections on the back of the port.

Hope you have some thoughts....

Craig

Old 12-01-2012, 01:58 PM
bportman
Professional

Mine is not completely dead but when I plug something in it switches on and off. When I can get around to it going to have the dealership switch it out with a new one.

Originally Posted by cwilliamt
Hi, all,

Have a 2012 Durango coming on a year old...with a remote USB port in the center console...I just noticed yesterday that it stopped working...no power or anything. I've done all the obvious things...checked the ipod fire wire (it works in the radio USB port just fine)...tried both an ipod Nano and iphone in the remote USB port...neither receive power. No new software on the Nano. My iOS on the I phone is 5.0 (again...no streaming issues...seems to be a port hardware issue.)

I've used this port regularly in the past but stopped using in favor of streaming bluetooth from my phone (which works well)...but I needed to give a charge to the old Nano yesterday and the port just seemed dead.

Is there a specific fuse I can check for this port? I can't seem to find mention of them in the manual or searching on-line. I read about pulling the fuse for the radio and essentially "rebooting"the system in some other posts for USB issues...any thoughts...is this a good idea for this type of problem? I can't easily get at the wiring in the console (or can't figure it out) to check the connections on the back of the port.

Hope you have some thoughts....

Craig

Old 12-03-2012, 04:13 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bportman
Mine is not completely dead but when I plug something in it switches on and off. When I can get around to it going to have the dealership switch it out with a new one.

Bportman,

Good call going to the dealer. Depending on the vehicle's in service date and metrage it should be covered under the warranty. If you have any questions concerning the vehicle's warranty feel free to PM me your VIN#. If not keep us posted on the outcome once it's repaired.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 AM
cwilliamt
Amateur
Default I'm at the same point..

Thanks for chiming in on this on...since initiating my post I've read that the center console USB cable can become detached from the radio head unit...and I'm not about to go fiddling around back there (not that I could)...so, I'm heading to the dealer for an oil change and troubleshooting the USB port. My vehicle is still under warranty.

Good luck with yours!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM
cwilliamt
Amateur
Default USB port repaired...

Well, for those of you with remote USB that stopped working (the armrest USB to be specific)...

...my issue was repaired under warranty by the dealer. It turned out to be not that the USB cable came unplugged from the radio head unit (though they did check that), rather the armrest USB port was bad and had to be replaced. This involved actually replacing the top cover of the armrest itself because there's a short wiring harness integrated into it (which seems silly, but that's the way it was designed). So, my issue is repaired and I'm back to being able charge/play ipods/phones in my armrest console.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear it got fixed under warranty, should certainly be covered!

Quick Reply: remote USB port stopped working recently...