3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Prospective buyer - used 2012 or new 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM
southpaw23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective buyer - used 2012 or new 2013?

Hi,

In the market for a 3 row crossover/SUV. I'm also considering a 2013 Pathfinder.

I went and test drove both a V6 and V8 2013 Durango yesterday. I think I'm settled on buying the V8 as I much preferred how it drove. I also like how the V8 has the lock 4WD option.

So all of these choice are with a Hemi V8.
I got a couple quotes from the dealer with $500 under invoice and then a couple rebates totaling $3500 off taken off from there. A fair price I thought.
So a couple of decisions I need to make is Crew or Citadel. New or used.

One example I can give is a Crew AWD (I'm in WI) with total MSRP of $44,615. Selling price is $36,998 plus TTL. It's a fairly loaded Crew with Captain's Chairs, sunroof, Trailer package and NAV. Only thing in it that I don't care for is the 20 inch wheels. (Is this a must with the V8? Do you recommend the 18's for comfort and road noise?)

Another option is the Citadel AWD with similar options but with the technology package ($1,595) which has the adaptive cruise control and blind spot thing). I guess it comes standard with 20 inchers. MSRP is $48,870 with selling price of $40,896 + TTL. So approx. a $4k bump up. I really like the look of the Citadel but don't think it's worth another $4k, along with the HID's and cooled seats and stuff like that.

So then I also come across a used 2012 AWD Crew with 22k miles on it. It's listed as a "commercial vehicle" on Carfax so not sure what that means? Pretty loaded Crew but with no trailer hitch. Not a deal breaker but would be nice to have in the future in case I need to tow something. I guess I can always add it later, right?
Their selling price is $32,500 which seemed like a fair price when I looked it up on NADA site. Options include sunroof, captains chairs, NAV, blind spot monitoring thing.

So I'm really torn. Do I save some $3500 and get the one year old model with some mileage on it? Commercial vehicle? I guess that means it's not a rental but what does it mean? How many have bought used and had issues with it?
$37k for the loaded Crew AWD? Is this a good price? Is there more wiggle room to come down?
Or since I plan to keep for several years, do I just bite the bullet and get the Citadel. In your opinion, are the add'l features and look worth the extra cost?

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Southpaw,

If you are going used I can send you a build sheet for it if you PM me the vin. Will also check for recalls and warranty restrictions.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would personally go new but that's just me, you seem to have gotten a decent deal on both vehicles you were quoted on. Good luck on whatever you choose and welcome!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Krauty

I'd personally go with new and get exactly what you want...or wait for the 2014's to come out!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM
bluebastion
Professional

I would wait to see what 2014 models bring in, as well... It is speculated or confirmed that the hemi will also get the 8 speed transmission that will make for smoother shifts, but also increase the mpg by 1 mpg. Also there will be a minor face-lift and even more importantly the 8.4 uconnect and 7inch TFT will be brought into the interior. My wife has a 2013 Dart with the 8.4n and TFT and it blows the tech in my 13 Durango out of the water!

As a side note DO NOT buy a Pathfinder.... The CVT's are crapping out in them in just a few thousand miles..... I work for a company with a large fleet and have already seen them dropping like flies..... I imagine a recall coming out on them soon.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Nissan, my mom had a Murano a few years back and the cvt needed to be replaced after 5,000 miles!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Shaun.Perry
Rookie

If i were you id check out the costco pricing deal if it is in your area. It forces the dealer to sell at guaranteed invoice, plus any and all discounts available on top of that. I got a brand new 2012 Durango R/T with the tow package, 3rd row seating,NAV, NO sunroof or 2nd row captain chairs, V8 HEMI,AWD,and backup camera. With TTL, added warranty to 7/100,000 miles, and a bad vehicle trade in of +2k on top of loan out the door was 41k. So if you take off the trade in and warranty i only paid 37,000 for the RT version, if i were you id be asking for a lower price on the crew as it is a model lower than the RT and your basically paying more. In my honest opinion hope it helps.

Last edited by Shaun.Perry; 01-30-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Larry Lives
Rookie

Originally Posted by southpaw23
Commercial vehicle? I guess that means it's not a rental but what does it mean?
Not a big deal at all.

As for me, My SUV's are all for work (and personal) but I register mine as Commercial (Combo Vehicle).

So for example, I just got my new 2013 Crew 3 weeks ago. when I swapped it, my last suv had combo plates. So anyone buying it is going to see what you see "Commercial Vehicle."

If you look inside, its not your average "commercial vehicle" has nav, leather, wheels, and all the goodies. So really should be called "corporate" rather than commercial.

Most people think commercial and they are thinking a plumbers old van all beat to hell and dirty, tired, etc. Not always the case.

Maintenance on a commercial vehicle, Its generally maintained excellent!
Goes to dealer and gets whatever it needs...

Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 20" wheels?

I have 20" wheels on my 2012 V6 Crew AWD. The handling is great and road noise is minimal. I'm at just over 10,000 miles with the OEM Goodyear Fortera tires. Also, I am VERY pleased with the snowy weather handling. The low front clip will be a problem long before traction is an issue.

I personally think the Citadel chrome 20" wheels look better than the crew version, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, don't worry about performance problems with the 20" wheels. I think that's a problem on cars with smaller overall diameter tires where there is not enough rubber. The tires on this thing are tall enough that it is not a problem.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM
mmillerao
Rookie

I'd go for the '13 Durango. 22k is a lot of miles for only a $3,500 discount. I have no issues with my 20" wheels. The tires are really not very low profile and the smaller wheels just don't look as good on the Big D. And technically, mine is a commercial vehicle. One loaded out commercial vehicle!

Really, I love it more every day.

Quick Reply: Prospective buyer - used 2012 or new 2013?