3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Remote Start Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 AM
R3TRO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start Issue...

I've searched but nobody seems to have the same prob I'm having.

Remote start NEVER works first thing in the morning! The whole point is I want the truck warm before I get in it. Push the button twice and the horn only honks once and that's it. Nothing. I've tried locking first then two pushes, unlocking then two pushes, just two pushes. Tried both keys and different distances to the car, etc.

Now if I've been driving it throughout the day remote start works just fine?! Two honks and it starts right up. Personally I can deal with it, but when the girlfriend wants to drive it I got to run out there and start it for her ahead of time (that's the price I have to pay for her compromising on the R/T ).

Anyway... suggestions? BTW I have a '13 R/T.

Last edited by R3TRO; 04-20-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
mac424
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a dealer visit to me. The single horn honk is a clue, but they'll have to hook up to the truck and read whats going on.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I agree with a dealership visit. Might just need to be flashed.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 PM
R3TRO

Ok finally figured this one out...

So I was following my girlfriend today (she was driving the Durango) and I noticed the brake light was on almost the entire drive. Every now and then it would go out after a complete stop then it would just illuminate again.

So this explains why the remote start won't work and why sometimes I can start the car without stepping on the brake pedal. So I'm assuming it's a bad sensor or something? At least I have something specific to tell the dealer now!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Brake light switch is sticking on. Its odd that sitting in teh driveway you havent noticed brake lights being on.
STEVE

Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
Brake light switch is sticking on. Its odd that sitting in teh driveway you havent noticed brake lights being on.
STEVE
He wouldn't. I have noticed in mine with push button start that when you depress the brake pedal and the car is not running, you have no brake lights. After you depress the brake to start it then the brake lights illuminate. I have never checked to see if they enable in the ACC position.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Hemibuck
Veteran

I had the same problem for a bit and found that I was clicking the second time too fast and it was disabling the remote start. The dealer even did it the first time we took a look at it on the lot. After you do that you have to get in to and start the car to reset the remote start. Try slowing the time between the two clicks down and see if that helps.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2013, 02:11 PM
R3TRO

Originally Posted by Hemibuck
I had the same problem for a bit and found that I was clicking the second time too fast and it was disabling the remote start. The dealer even did it the first time we took a look at it on the lot. After you do that you have to get in to and start the car to reset the remote start. Try slowing the time between the two clicks down and see if that helps.
I tried it all... there is definitely a problem. Sometimes the truck will even start then turn itself off after 5sec or so. I'm pretty sure now that it's related to the brake sensor.

And no (to the other poster) the brake lights don't come on just sitting in the driveway, only when the truck is running. And since I always drive, I never noticed before. Must be real annoying to people driving behind me!

Old 04-21-2013, 03:09 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very odd..

Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 PM
harv1234
Rookie

If you have warranty left, just bring it in. No sense kicking away if someone else can do the kicking

Funny aside. I've had my truck for a week and just had to use the wipers today. Couldn't get them to go, front or back. Finally figured out that, with remote start, until you push the ignition button, you don't have wiper function. Learning by trying lol.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Issue...