3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

CAI - Cold Air Intakes - Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 PM
bluebastion
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI - Cold Air Intakes - Worth It?

With my new catback exhaust, naturally I'm looking for the next mod... I'm already very aware of the CAI brands available out there for the D, but as I'm researching the impact a CAI will bring to the table, I am finding there is not a lot of substantiated evidence to support a significant gain:

What have you guys experienced with your CAI's? What brand and do you have dyno's to prove the gains?

Thanks in advance... not hating, just wanting to know if it's worth it.

P.S. I did not do the exhaust replacement for gains, just for sound... the CAI would actually be more for gains, not sound.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 PM
GotRPM
Professional
Cool

Dyno charts for CAIs are simply BS. Too many variables to define a statistically significant difference of just a few % in horsepower unless the testing is tightly controlled - which almost never happens. The real advantages are sound and no need to buy paper filters again. Plus they look cool. I like my AIRAID but I didn't expect a performance boost. The best boost for me has been the Diablo. IMO if you want performance, save up for a good tuner and don't waste money on the CAI. You'll be power and fun ahead.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 PM
kingofhill21
Amateur

If you do a CAI and exhaust then have it tuned its possible you will gain results from. In my 2006 Chevy Cobalt ss/sc I had, the intake actually gave some gains once it was tuned. As far as a durango goes I have no clue just bought mine.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the premise of going the tune route but imo to make the most of the tune the intake/exhaust combo helps a bit.. and they both sound cool. That being said i'm very happy with my Volant set up!

Quick Reply: CAI - Cold Air Intakes - Worth It?