DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango-154/)
-   -   2011 Durango Citadel Hemi AWD Issues (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/354719-2011-durango-citadel-hemi-awd-issues.html)

IEWRX 05-03-2013 01:42 AM

2011 Durango Citadel Hemi AWD Issues

Our Durango gets driven a lot. Had it about 2 years and just turned 50K miles.
Since new have not been able to get the Navi to keep a home location, have to program each time we want to use it to travel home. Also will nto store radio pre-sets. These issues were not a big deal and never had them checked.
Went past the 30K for the plugs, but all oil changes were on time. Started to have issues with it not wanting to start, just cranking with the FOB start or push button start, so figured it was time for the plugs. Also, the mileage dropped below our normal. I was waiting a bit as we are planning on driving on a trip in Just and wanted to be fresh for that trip. So with these issues took it to the dealer to change the plugs since I had an offer from them and did not really have the time myself at this point. Had the plugs changed and am now still having the starting issues and possibly a bit more frequently. No CEL has ever come up.
Thinking of unhooking the battery to do a reset, but on my CSRT there is a fuse you can pull and wondering if there is one for the Durango. Also if anyone else is having these same issues. I have extended warranty on it so will take it in but getting the time to get it in is the biggest problem.

inyadreems 05-03-2013 07:05 AM

Just takin a stab at this: Starting and drop in mileage; air, fuel, spark

Clogged Air filter?
Dirty MAF?
Dirty Throttle body?
Bad ignition coil?
Dirt in injectors?
Fuel pump/filter?

Does it hesitate or idle rough?

wildspeed 05-03-2013 07:07 AM

I have been dealing with a starting issue also for over a year.
In our case the car will crank but will not fire, we have to open the hood and "hit/bump" the T.I.P (Fuse,relay box) for it to start.
The car is again at the dealer (almost a week) to try to resolve the problem....no code either...
How do you start yours when the problem occur?

FSTDANGO3 05-03-2013 07:10 AM

I am wanting to think Dirty Throttle body...These can get really gunked up in 50k miles without a cleaning
STEVE

DodgeCares 05-03-2013 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by IEWRX (Post 3012042)
Our Durango gets driven a lot. Had it about 2 years and just turned 50K miles.
Since new have not been able to get the Navi to keep a home location, have to program each time we want to use it to travel home. Also will nto store radio pre-sets. These issues were not a big deal and never had them checked.
Went past the 30K for the plugs, but all oil changes were on time. Started to have issues with it not wanting to start, just cranking with the FOB start or push button start, so figured it was time for the plugs. Also, the mileage dropped below our normal. I was waiting a bit as we are planning on driving on a trip in Just and wanted to be fresh for that trip. So with these issues took it to the dealer to change the plugs since I had an offer from them and did not really have the time myself at this point. Had the plugs changed and am now still having the starting issues and possibly a bit more frequently. No CEL has ever come up.
Thinking of unhooking the battery to do a reset, but on my CSRT there is a fuse you can pull and wondering if there is one for the Durango. Also if anyone else is having these same issues. I have extended warranty on it so will take it in but getting the time to get it in is the biggest problem.

IEWRX,

There was a flash for the radio preset and nav location problems. I am listing it below.

NUMBER: 08-053-12
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: November 21, 2012

SUBJECT:
Flash: RHR, RHW Or RHP Radio Software Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RHR, RHW or RHP Radio.
MODELS:
2011-2013 (JK) Wrangler
2011-2013 (JS) 200/Avenger
2011-2012 (KK) Liberty
2011-2013 (RT) Town Country/Caravan
2011-2012 (DJ) Ram 2500 Pickup
2011-2012 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2011-2012 (PM) Caliber
2011-2013 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2011-2012 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
2011-2012 (D2) Ram 3500 Pickup
2011-2013 (LC) Challenger
2011-2013 (WD) Durango
2011 (KA) Nitro
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with Media Center 735N
CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV (sales code RHW) or AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV
Radio (sales code RHR) or AM/FM/CD/MP3/NAV Radio (sales code RHP).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience one or more of the following conditions.
· Erratic alternate frequency switching (International only).
· Bluetooth phone muting during European traffic announcement (International only).
· Lost channel presets, home addresses, address book entries & Travel Link favorites.
· Not able to change default country and state then route.
· Unable to load .jpeg files onto hard drive to display on touch screen.
· Vehicle with Start/Stop feature, the screen will go black when the engine turns off at
a stop. (International only).
· Incomplete Travel Link temperature displayed when the temperature is over 100F.
Example, if the temperature is 107F the screen will display 07. (Domestic U.S. only).
· Cancel key inoperative after pressing the international button.
· iPhone4 dial not possible after second call.
· Missing Travel Link buttons from SAT menu (Domestic U.S. only).
· Devices button disabled in VES menu.
· Unable to route to a recent route after a map update.
· Remove Travel Link disclaimer popup (Domestic U.S. only).
· Duplicate phone numbers in popup after pressing the international button.
· During active call and on hold, DIAL button should be displayed (not “TONE” button).
· International button not visible.
· Point of interest (POI) Search enhancements.
· When video in remote DVD player is stopped devices button wrongly labeled as
DVD.
· Access Travel Link immediately after radio no update when staying on TL screen.
· iPod, track selection enhancements.

DodgeCares 05-03-2013 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by wildspeed (Post 3012063)
In our case the car will crank but will not fire, we have to open the hood and "hit/bump" the T.I.P (Fuse,relay box) for it to start.
The car is again at the dealer (almost a week) to try to resolve the problem....no code either...

Wild,

If the dealership is not solving the problem for you I would suggest a call to Chrysler to get a Chrysler tech involved. Numbers below.

800-992-1997 United State
800-465-2001 Canada

CPW1265 05-03-2013 11:28 AM

I know it might sound like a waste but I did the 30K mile maintenance package. I was hesitant at first since it was close to $500 but I did it and i have to say that my Durango runs like brand new if not better than i got it. I do recommend it. my 2011 Crew V6 AWD has 34k miles now and runs pretty good.

Hope this helps

IEWRX 05-03-2013 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by inyadreems (Post 3012062)
Just takin a stab at this: Starting and drop in mileage; air, fuel, spark

Clogged Air filter?
Dirty MAF?
Dirty Throttle body?
Bad ignition coil?
Dirt in injectors?
Fuel pump/filter?

Does it hesitate or idle rough?

Once it is running, usually after a couple of attempts it runs just fine. MAF looked good, injectors were just cleaned by the dealer as well. Would have thought they would have said something about a bad coil when they replaced the plugs, but is a thought. K&N Drop in filter with only a few thousand miles. Did the throttle body cleaning today and will see how that goes but did not seem to be that dirty.

I just retry and usually after a couple of times it starts and runs just fine.

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3 (Post 3012065)
I am wanting to think Dirty Throttle body...These can get really gunked up in 50k miles without a cleaning
STEVE

Thanks, did a cleaning today and will see if anything improves.

Originally Posted by DodgeCares (Post 3012114)
IEWRX,

There was a flash for the radio preset and nav location problems. I am listing it below.

NUMBER: 08-053-12
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: November 21, 2012

SUBJECT:
Flash: RHR, RHW Or RHP Radio Software Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RHR, RHW or RHP Radio.
MODELS:
2011-2013 (JK) Wrangler
2011-2013 (JS) 200/Avenger
2011-2012 (KK) Liberty
2011-2013 (RT) Town Country/Caravan
2011-2012 (DJ) Ram 2500 Pickup
2011-2012 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2011-2012 (PM) Caliber
2011-2013 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2011-2012 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
2011-2012 (D2) Ram 3500 Pickup
2011-2013 (LC) Challenger
2011-2013 (WD) Durango
2011 (KA) Nitro
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with Media Center 735N
CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV (sales code RHW) or AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV
Radio (sales code RHR) or AM/FM/CD/MP3/NAV Radio (sales code RHP).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience one or more of the following conditions.
· Erratic alternate frequency switching (International only).
· Bluetooth phone muting during European traffic announcement (International only).
· Lost channel presets, home addresses, address book entries & Travel Link favorites.
· Not able to change default country and state then route.
· Unable to load .jpeg files onto hard drive to display on touch screen.
· Vehicle with Start/Stop feature, the screen will go black when the engine turns off at
a stop. (International only).
· Incomplete Travel Link temperature displayed when the temperature is over 100F.
Example, if the temperature is 107F the screen will display 07. (Domestic U.S. only).
· Cancel key inoperative after pressing the international button.
· iPhone4 dial not possible after second call.
· Missing Travel Link buttons from SAT menu (Domestic U.S. only).
· Devices button disabled in VES menu.
· Unable to route to a recent route after a map update.
· Remove Travel Link disclaimer popup (Domestic U.S. only).
· Duplicate phone numbers in popup after pressing the international button.
· During active call and on hold, DIAL button should be displayed (not “TONE” button).
· International button not visible.
· Point of interest (POI) Search enhancements.
· When video in remote DVD player is stopped devices button wrongly labeled as
DVD.
· Access Travel Link immediately after radio no update when staying on TL screen.
· iPod, track selection enhancements.

thank you, will take it in for the flash.

Originally Posted by CPW1265 (Post 3012177)
I know it might sound like a waste but I did the 30K mile maintenance package. I was hesitant at first since it was close to $500 but I did it and i have to say that my Durango runs like brand new if not better than i got it. I do recommend it. my 2011 Crew V6 AWD has 34k miles now and runs pretty good.

Hope this helps

Basically the 30K has now been done.

IEWRX 05-04-2013 06:00 PM

Now seems every time it will not start. Thought I could not hear the fuel pump engage but now I have when it did not start. When it gets started it runs fine and no CEL or anything. Can't believe after my last 6 vehicle purchases this one will be the first for having an issue. Now cannot take it into Monday.

IEWRX 05-05-2013 04:05 AM

As the problem has gotten worse, I started to wiggle the M25 fuse and both times I did this it started afterward. Once right up, and a second seperate time a little hesitation but started on the first try after that.

It is doing it now cold or hot, does not matter. Scheduled an appointment for Monday at the dealer boy will I be tired, but it is bad now and gotta get it looked at. Why did it not happen before I went over the basic mileage.

Starting to doubt my thought of a 2014 Durango purchase to replace this one.....

wildspeed 05-05-2013 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by IEWRX (Post 3013053)
As the problem has gotten worse, I started to wiggle the M25 fuse and both times I did this it started afterward. Once right up, and a second seperate time a little hesitation but started on the first try after that.

It is doing it now cold or hot, does not matter. Scheduled an appointment for Monday at the dealer boy will I be tired, but it is bad now and gotta get it looked at. Why did it not happen before I went over the basic mileage.

Starting to doubt my thought of a 2014 Durango purchase to replace this one.....

Look like we are having the same issue.
Did try M25 and J17 without any conclusive result...when it start with hesitation it feel like it run on "5 cylinders"?

IEWRX 05-06-2013 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by wildspeed (Post 3013074)
Look like we are having the same issue.
Did try M25 and J17 without any conclusive result...when it start with hesitation it feel like it run on "5 cylinders"?

Sometime it would have a rough idle. Took it in this morning so see what they say. They suspect the alarm system.... Had to give the guy that took me home the second key.

IEWRX 05-06-2013 08:08 PM

Ok took it in this morning and of course when I got in to take it over, no problem. At the dealer started no problem. Anyway, got a call from the dealer about 11:43 stating the it was done and they did a flash per TSB 08-053-11 looks like that is for the alarm system. About 50" later got a call back from the dealer and it was not starting, it actually acted up there. About 2:40 they called back and stated they replaced the push button start and programmed. So far it has been started twice and no issues. The adviser said this is the first time he has seen the push button needing to be replaced. It was diagnosed as push button module/adapted loss of signal.

While I was there had the radio/Nav flash done and it is at least holding my home in the NAV.

FSTDANGO3 05-06-2013 08:29 PM

Good to hear keep us posted

wildspeed 05-06-2013 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by IEWRX (Post 3013868)
Ok took it in this morning and of course when I got in to take it over, no problem. At the dealer started no problem. Anyway, got a call from the dealer about 11:43 stating the it was done and they did a flash per TSB 08-053-11 looks like that is for the alarm system. About 50" later got a call back from the dealer and it was not starting, it actually acted up there. About 2:40 they called back and stated they replaced the push button start and programmed. So far it has been started twice and no issues. The adviser said this is the first time he has seen the push button needing to be replaced. It was diagnosed as push button module/adapted loss of signal.

While I was there had the radio/Nav flash done and it is at least holding my home in the NAV.

I wonder if they took out the push button and try to start with the key...?
Hopefully that was the issue, but doesn't really explain the intermitent rought idling when the car does start...

FSTDANGO3 05-06-2013 10:02 PM

Not sure where I read it, but I did read somewhere else that there have been communication issues within some of these cars with push buttons and RF signaled systems.
Some are being affected by radio interferences from other devices.
The button is simply a switch...the module it activates communicates with the ecm and TIPM module
STEVE

IEWRX 05-07-2013 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by wildspeed (Post 3013927)
I wonder if they took out the push button and try to start with the key...?
Hopefully that was the issue, but doesn't really explain the intermitent rought idling when the car does start...

Did not go into how they came up with this diagnosis, but he had the tech go over right away when it would not start. I am guessing that the loss of power prevented it from fully starting, maybe somehow effecting the MDS on start-up and not firing all the cylinders when it thought it was not in MDS mode.

IEWRX 05-07-2013 10:44 AM

Oh well so much for that. Did same thing three times this morning. Guess it is back to the dealer.

wildspeed 05-08-2013 11:10 PM

Got the car back from the dealer...after a week :mad:

They replaced the TIPM...for the second time...:icon_rolleyes:
apparently was loosing power on pin 10, internal intermitant open in fuel pump circuit.... what ever that mean.
Let's hope that fix it....

CMil527 05-08-2013 11:12 PM

Wow thats ridiculous...lets hope its fixed!

IEWRX 05-09-2013 12:02 AM

Well of course when I got to the dealer it did not act up. When I started it to move out of the garage it took two tries to start it. Then when I used the remote start when I was going ot leave it started then immediately died, then started back up. They are now keeping it overnight but their shop foremen has talked about the potential bad connection at the TIPM. That is now the direction they are going.

FSTDANGO3 05-09-2013 07:53 AM

The start symptoms you describe relate to the way the security system acts. Starts and shuts down...There could be an issue with the TIPM module, when that failed in my wifes Avenger the car did hardly anything right
STEVE

IEWRX 05-10-2013 12:42 AM

Well the TIPM is still suspect, but after another day it did not act up, started every time. They are keeping it over another night. They have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to check fuel pressure when it does not start. At this point it is looking like a known issue but it appears Dodge. I will wait and see what happens in the morning and go from there.

IEWRX 05-11-2013 01:46 AM

SO TIPM Has been ordered. This morning they tried with the remote start the fuel pressure gauge went to 75, then fell to 10 and would not start. They have ordered the TIPM and plan to put it in on Monday, until then we have the D back. BTW that is one expensive part, think they told me $1195 with labor before he remember I had extended on the D. Glad I got the extended warranty this time, had a feeling with all the electrical and high tech on this vehicle.

FSTDANGO3 05-11-2013 08:51 AM

Its basically another computer to control all the electronic goodies including security system and that is the part on yours I think may be wreaking havoc
STEVE

bbtkd 05-11-2013 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by IEWRX (Post 3016401)
SO TIPM Has been ordered. This morning they tried with the remote start the fuel pressure gauge went to 75, then fell to 10 and would not start. They have ordered the TIPM and plan to put it in on Monday, until then we have the D back. BTW that is one expensive part, think they told me $1195 with labor before he remember I had extended on the D. Glad I got the extended warranty this time, had a feeling with all the electrical and high tech on this vehicle.

Got the extended warranty for the same reason. It's almost funny that while the salesmen expound on the virtues and reliability of the vehicle, it sounds like the most amazing technological marvel. Then after you sign on the dotted line, they take you in to the business manager who tells you how expensive they are to fix and tells you enough horror stories to sell the extended warranty.

ah64pilot 05-11-2013 07:24 PM

Tag - I bought a 2011 for my wife (used) with 45K on the clock. Recently it has been doing the same. It will crank but won't start. I have to cancel the crank cycle by hitting the run button again. When it does it, after about the 3rd try it will complete the cycle and run. It's very intermittent but I am now in the process of eliminating the key fobs (security system) as the culprit.

I'm am going to use only one fob for a week to see if it happens to both or just one fob. I would like to know what the outcome of IEWRX's dealer experience is. I do not have an extended warranty as I am a competent mechanic, but I'd rather not pay for parts unless I know for sure what I'm buying is going to fix the problem.

I look forward to hearing whether or not they were able to identify and fix the problem.

Steve

IEWRX 05-13-2013 12:18 AM

ah64, when I picked up mine on Friday they old me that if it has and issue starting with the push button to use the remote to start it. If it had an issue with the remote, to use the push button. WHen it did it to me on Friday with the remote start I used the push button and it started right up. Now of course this will only work if you have the remote start.
Ptherwise without having any tools of the trade to look into what is happening when this issue occures, it make it hard to determine what is happening. It too a fuel pressure reading to get a diagnosis as this issue does not leave any codes.
Will see for sure by Tuesday at the earliest if the TIPM replacement fixes mine and I will post the results, hopefully positive.....

IEWRX 05-13-2013 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by bbtkd (Post 3016697)
Got the extended warranty for the same reason. It's almost funny that while the salesmen expound on the virtues and reliability of the vehicle, it sounds like the most amazing technological marvel. Then after you sign on the dotted line, they take you in to the business manager who tells you how expensive they are to fix and tells you enough horror stories to sell the extended warranty.

My last 5 new vehicles I have not gotten the extended on and never had a problem, but on a first year run and all the gizmo's on these things that is a lot to go wrong, so would rather error on the side of caution on this purchase. Glad I did so far, abourt $1195 of the $1800 warranty price in one visit. Might be worthwhile.

ah64pilot 05-13-2013 02:02 AM

Thanks for the update IEWRX!

IEWRX 05-13-2013 11:26 PM

OK picked it back up this afternoon and the TIPM was replaced. Will see how it goes in the morning and then the next couple of days. So far on the 3 remote starts I have done have had no issues. Here is the complete listing for the repair and diagnostic word for word:

"Customer reports engine cranks but does not start, Must keep trying.
Remote start also at times is INOP. Will crank but not start.
Condition for both is intermittent warm and cold and with both key fobs.
Scanner test no DTC stored. Pending in any available controller. Hooked up fuel pressure gauge with vehicle has been sitting overnite. In this morning using the remote start could see the fuel pressure jumped to 65 PSI the vehicle started and dies the gauge show only 5 PSI. Turned the key on and off trying to activate fuel pump still nothing ath the guage.
Ath the TIPM C5 PIN 10 with meter hooked up there is no output voltage to the pump. Removed M25 fuse and reinstall the fuel pump starting to run and vehicle started.
Need new TIPM 1st and retest for further needed repair.
Install new TIPM.
Reconfigure the vehicle.
Initializing the ABS, ESP, SCC.
Road test vehicle."

The module (TIPM) was replaced at a parts coslist price of $850.20, minus a $125.00 core. Labor listed at 129.20 for a total of 854.40. Paid my $100 deductable on my extended.

As mentioned in Post 10 I played with the M25 fuse and it started after, If someone else out of warranty is having this issue maybe try to wiggle or remove and replace that fuse to see if it then starts.

IEWRX 05-15-2013 11:32 PM

Two days and no issues. Starting every time.

wildspeed 05-20-2013 07:15 AM

Guess what...after 10 days without starting problem, no go this morning....had to open the hood and hit the TIPM to make it start :icon_mad:

IEWRX 05-21-2013 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by wildspeed (Post 3020757)
Guess what...after 10 days without starting problem, no go this morning....had to open the hood and hit the TIPM to make it start :icon_mad:

Just refreshed my memory. Hopefully I can make it past 10 days.....

I am guessing they have not made any changes to the TIPM as these problems are starting to arise.

ah64pilot 05-22-2013 09:44 AM

well I have been able to manipulate the problem quite often without issue but today I went and started the vehicle after about the third time uh cranking. Once it finally did start I got a few messages, memory system not available vehicle not in park, hows slash a WP not available, Park Assist not available, and I got a subsequent check engine light ABS light and traction control light in the drivers console. Oh boy!

we had strong rain yesterday, and I wonder if the TI p.m. got wet? I am at the point now I'm going to have to take it to have it scanned but at least I have a check engine light to go off of.

wildspeed 05-31-2013 09:40 PM

The saga continues....
D spent tuesday at the dealer and they "maybe found" the problem, but what ever need to be replace is on back order...no eta

In the meantime the D managed not to start twice today and even have the engine shut off driving in the parking lot :mad:
I did have few minute this morning when the no starting happened, to "play" with the TIPM relays and the K4 (start/run relay) could be the problem. (car started after a little knock on it)
Does anybody know ithat when the TIPM is replaced, if it come with new relays and fuses? (I'm to my second TIPM).

IEWRX 06-01-2013 01:55 AM

Fortunately I am still good. Mileage is not where it was originally, but I am now thinking the CA summer gas is the cause of that. Starting to not look forward to the Oregon trip in a month.....

ah64pilot 06-01-2013 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot (Post 3021929)
well I have been able to manipulate the problem quite often without issue but today I went and started the vehicle after about the third time uh cranking. Once it finally did start I got a few messages, memory system not available vehicle not in park, hows slash a WP not available, Park Assist not available, and I got a subsequent check engine light ABS light and traction control light in the drivers console. Oh boy!

we had strong rain yesterday, and I wonder if the TI p.m. got wet? I am at the point now I'm going to have to take it to have it scanned but at least I have a check engine light to go off of.

Here's my update...since this day, where it threw every light in the book at me...I haven't had a single failed start or otherwise.

I didn't do anything to it, just shut it off for a couple hours with all the light I listed above. When I came back everything worked fine and my wife and I havent had a single problem since...odd.

mm25ftx 06-21-2013 07:47 AM

I just started having this issue as of yesterday. Wouldn't turn over, stalled when it did. I thought it was the hypertech, do I immediately removed it and still had the issue. So sorted thru this forum and stumbled on this. So, sure as ****, I find fuse M25 pressed it down and banged on the entire fuse box and the D started right up. Wtf?! I am going to be driving about 400 miles today, so I decided to not rent a car and drive the D. Hopefully I won't get stuck in Canada. Fun times

wildspeed 06-30-2013 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update on the non starting issue....

After almost a year, over 10000 miles and multiple trips to the dealership my patience ran out of dealing with that intermittent problem.

That is how we had to start the D when it didn't want to fire :

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wild...49758088625159

So Dodge headquarter received a registered letter (aka Motor Vehicle Defect Notification, first step of the FL lemon Law).

About a week after, I was contacted by a Dodge person about to bring my D to the dealership for a last attempt to resolve the issue, they will have 10 days to fix it...

Dealer kept the D for the whole time and worked with a Dodge engineer.
Not sure of all the work who was involved, but essentially the TPMI harness had to be fixed.
Got back the D last wednesday and so far no starting problem ( but that didn't fix that annoying fishbite...)
Hopefully it's fix.