3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Black paint

Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 PM
SS2RT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i only use zymol and mothers products now...
both make an incredible line of products - car wash to wax to polish & glaze - cant go wrong with either one

Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 AM
pjw1967
Veteran

For almost 20 years and on numerous vehicles I have used nothing but Dri-Wash. I am NOT connected with them in any way. Sales seem mostly thru jobbers. https://www.mydwgint.com/dri-wash.com/homepage.asp
I got into it because of the GTO. Can't wash it in the conventional manner because there are too many places for water to seep in and collect to make rust. I saw it demonstrated at Autorama in Houston around 1995.
Since the Goat never gets real dirt on it, just road grime and dust, I use DW like Endust. Instead of spraying it on the car and wiping it off, I spray it on a microfiber cloth and wipe the Goat off with it. I use a separate cloth to wipe off the haze. Absolutely no powdering. Does not leave swirl marks.
I have the '13 R/T and my wife's '06 Infiniti M35. Neither has been "waxed" since purchased. I take them both to the $4.00 car wash. Brush type. I wipe them dry immediately on exiting. About once every 2 months I wipe them down with Dri-Wash as I would the Goat. The Infiniti is on the road 7 years now, and the paint shine looks as good as new. Yes it is garage-kept which I am sure helps. But I've spent a lot more time driving cars than rubbing on them.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Originally Posted by pjw1967
For almost 20 years and on numerous vehicles I have used nothing but Dri-Wash. I am NOT connected with them in any way. Sales seem mostly thru jobbers. https://www.mydwgint.com/dri-wash.com/homepage.asp
I got into it because of the GTO. Can't wash it in the conventional manner because there are too many places for water to seep in and collect to make rust. I saw it demonstrated at Autorama in Houston around 1995.
Since the Goat never gets real dirt on it, just road grime and dust, I use DW like Endust. Instead of spraying it on the car and wiping it off, I spray it on a microfiber cloth and wipe the Goat off with it. I use a separate cloth to wipe off the haze. Absolutely no powdering. Does not leave swirl marks.
I have the '13 R/T and my wife's '06 Infiniti M35. Neither has been "waxed" since purchased. I take them both to the $4.00 car wash. Brush type. I wipe them dry immediately on exiting. About once every 2 months I wipe them down with Dri-Wash as I would the Goat. The Infiniti is on the road 7 years now, and the paint shine looks as good as new. Yes it is garage-kept which I am sure helps. But I've spent a lot more time driving cars than rubbing on them.
I also have used the DWG products and I actually became a dealer for it. I only used it on my prior Gen 1 D as it never got real heavy build up of dirt. The product does work great, although you must be real careful with choice of towels and build up on the towels.
I still have an inventory on the product line if anyone is interested. The metal polish is the best there is. Take a look at the website www.dwgint.com for their other products.
STEVE

Old 05-13-2013, 10:29 AM
SlvrShrk
Professional

Oh the pollen here is RIDICULOUS!...Essentially, the Roanoke Valley acts like a bowl, so all of the pollen from the mountains settles down here. Basically, yesterday, I had to re-wipe down each panel between the polishing and waxing steps. Within 5 minutes it had a yellow-green "haze" again on the horizontal surfaces.

Oh well...price I pay for black at least...and I don't care! Because she is awesome then she is shined up!

Old 05-13-2013, 01:22 PM
dwolson2
Professional

I see that stuff is $20~ a bottle. How long does it last? Although its called a waterless wash, is it really more like a spray on wax? I usually wash my microfiber towels in between uses. Will it still build up?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM
inyadreems
Veteran

Nice ride, love the metalic blacks on the newer cars.

The shine, depth, gloss, clarity and radiance in the paint does not come from the wax you use. It comes from properly prepping the paint. Waxes and sealants provide protection to the paint, some waxes and sealants contain light polishes and some contain pure wax. You want to clay, compound and polish to maximize the appearance of your paint. Then wax or seal that shine.

Swirl marks come from improperly washing and drying your car and taking your car to the local car wash. The local car was will destroy your paint and your paint protection. They use the same towel on your wheels and paint and apply way too much pressure when drying.

When you want to wash and dry you want to touch the paint as little as possible, you want to clean the mitt after every panel or section, you want to use a two bucket method or a pressure washer and always have plenty of lubrication when gliding the mitt across the paint.

You want to dry the car with a leaf blower or something similar and any left over water should be patted dry with a drying towel and detail spray or wax. Good towels are a necessity to reduce scratches and marring.

You could go to your local auto parts store and pick up the following products and produce excellent results.

Quality MF towels - thick and plush not thin and flimsy
2 buckets
2 grit guards - prevent dirt from swirling around in the bucket and you can wash your mitt against it
Quality MF drying towels
Megs clay kit
Megs Ultimate Compound
Megs Ultimate Polish
Megs Ultimate Wax paste or liquid - will last 5-6 months on a daily driver, I have tested it on my own vehicles
Megs Ultimate Quick Wax
Megs Ultimate Detailer

Not affiliated with Megs but love their products

Here is a great vid on how to wash your car properly not affiliated with Larry or Ammo but have met him and he is a real nice guy.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 PM
SlvrShrk
Professional

Yeah...when I got my Camaro, I bought a leaf blower for drying. When I was using it on the Durango this weekend, my wife came out and asked, "Have you ever used that to blow leaves?"

nope...

She shook her head....she does that a lot lately for some reason....

Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

I was using the leafblower yesterday and my wife came home from shopping and walked past me and said "RETARD" I just laughed and continued on my detail...
STEVE

Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 PM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
I was using the leafblower yesterday and my wife came home from shopping and walked past me and said "RETARD" I just laughed and continued on my detail...
STEVE
I was telling my wife about you crazy baskets using a leaf blower and 4 hours to detail etc and she thought you were retards too. But now with all this talk about waxing and what you guys do, I may just wash my car, throw the blower in the back, head up to community pool area, dry the sucker and head home, I get called enough names as it is

Old 05-13-2013, 04:15 PM
pjw1967
Veteran

Originally Posted by dwolson2
I see that stuff is $20~ a bottle. How long does it last? Although its called a waterless wash, is it really more like a spray on wax? I usually wash my microfiber towels in between uses. Will it still build up?
There is no build up in the conventional sense. It is not a wax. It is a protectant but don't ask me what the diff is. Yes it is expensive. But I can wipe down the GTO in less than 15 mins and the D in 20.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black paint