3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Issue when I put my D in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Frohoss
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Issue when I put my D in reverse.

I have a 2012 Dodge Durango Crew. 3.6 AWD

I haven't reported this to my dealership yet but I will soon. Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this issue or have any thoughts.

The scenario when it happens: When coming to a complete stop on a slight grade/slope (happens on both incline/decline grades) I put it in reverse and there is a 3-5 second delay before reverse is actually engaged. My backup camera will not turn on until the reverse is engaged as well.

My main issue is the 3-5 second delay. I back into my driveway all the time and the delay frustrates me...feels like minutes are going by. I don't have the exact degrees of my grade but I would guess it's between 5-10 degrees tops. Very slight in my opinion. Heck I live in Nebraska

This issue is also not consistent. Sometimes reverse engages immediately while other times there is the 3-5 second delay. The issue only happens on slopes. Reverse always engages quickly on completely flat areas though.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:44 AM
jxa990

I own a 2012 hemi awd and I have experienced the same thing. Fortunately for me it doesn't happen often. I only experience this when I visit my parents. There driveway have a 10 degree incline so when I do park in it I put the e-brake on then slide it into park. Whenever I go to leave and back out of there driveway, there is a delay in going into reverse. I have overlooked this as at my home I park it in my garage and obviously there is no slope. If you do bring it to the dealer let me know what they say. If its an issue or defect I would definitely bring mine in to get checked out. Good luck

Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 AM
nightvision191

Strange! I wonder if you turned hill start assist off, would that make a difference? The setting is in the EVIC if equipped, which I believe all are. The hill start assist holds the brakes for a few seconds until you are able to give it enough gas to go. This is a different situation, but it could be the a delay in the PCM processing what is going on. If this is the case, hopefully a TSB would be in order.

Let us know what you find.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 AM
jxa990

Originally Posted by nightvision191
Strange! I wonder if you turned hill start assist off, would that make a difference? The setting is in the EVIC if equipped, which I believe all are. The hill start assist holds the brakes for a few seconds until you are able to give it enough gas to go. This is a different situation, but it could be the a delay in the PCM processing what is going on. If this is the case, hopefully a TSB would be in order.

I turned off my hill start assist and the issue is gone. I figured I'd try it and it sounds like that was the issue. It didn't bother me as much so I turned it back on.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:36 AM
Frohoss
Rookie

Originally Posted by nightvision191

I have tested the Hill Start Assist theory several times over the past year and it doesn't make a difference whether it's on or off. The reverse delay still exists either way.

My next step is to video tape my issue so I can bring proof to my dealership.

I appreciate those that have chimed in to help shed some light on my issue. I will keep you posted when I find out more. Thanks

Quick Reply: Issue when I put my D in reverse.