3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Problem with AWD neutral button, car can't drive

Old 09-03-2013, 02:19 PM
zibenek12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with AWD neutral button, car can't drive

I'm new here so hello everyone. At the beggining I'd like to admit im not native english speaker Im from Europe. I hope you will understand my problem and try to help me out.

The car : Durango Citadel 4x4 5.7 HEMI 2011

It happened when I gave the car for body paint. Painter said that he was driving out the garage, and then the car just stopped. I don't know is it true, maybe he was just switching something without knowlegde how to do it. When I arrived, I saw a red light on the "neutral button" on the AWD switch panel. The car starts, when I change transmission gears the car reacts so I bet its ok but when i just put a pedal down it doesn't ride.

It seems like it has been "stucked" between those AWD modes, or just stucked on NEUTRAL mode? Is a NEUTRAL mode a button or just a light, because I cant push it down - maybe a panel is broken? Any suggestions? I will be very grateful for any help to start my truck.

Chris.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Waynead
Veteran

I just had the same problem and it's going into the shop tomorrow. On mine, it seems like the button is stuck down. But it just started blinking.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Fullslp
Captain

If the light is solid " ON " then you are in neutral. Follow owners manual on resetting. Of the light is flashing or you can get it to flash by toggling the AWD selector. Then the electronic accuator aka shifter cannot lock the transfer case into AWD high or AWD low. This worked for me. Unplug the wire harness going into the transfer case shift accuator. Push the truck forward a few feet, start the truck and put it in gear, just for a moment then back to park. Shut truck off and plug the wire harness back in. Use a pen to press the LIGHT/ which is also the Neutral button. Mine slipped back into AWD high and I've used high and low multiple times since then. Good luck..

Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Waynead
Veteran

My '12 doesn't have the button you have to press with a pen, it has an actual button with the light next to it. The button seems stuck in the depressed position. I'll find out shortly from the dealer and will the post results

Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Waynead
Veteran

They think it's just a bad switch and are ordering a new one.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:18 PM
dj gmoney
Smile 2011 dodge durango crew

can anyone tell me why it seems like the vehicle hits real hard when i go from the drive position to park? it seems like right at neutral, the bottom is gonna fall out and also when i take off from a standstill i can feel a little thump from the rear..Thanks

Old 04-29-2021, 07:48 PM
AJR1982

Reviving this post as I'm having a similar issue. Random flashing in park and drive. It seems to disappear and reappear without any reason. The button (neutral) does not depress.
(2011 citadel 109kmiles v8 5.7) we just purchased it the other day. Is it a switch issue? Does anyone have the part #?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with AWD neutral button, car can't drive