3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Hypertech Interceptor -- revisited

Old 09-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hypertech Interceptor -- revisited

I was going to read the stuff here but then found out it was 68 pages long with 659 comments. War and Peace I've already read.
Went to the Hypertech site and checked out the data . . . meh. They say the Hemi gets up to (yeah, right) 33hp and 40tq while the 3.6 gets 5hp and 9tq. That's right, FIVE horsepower.
Why would I spend $200-plus for such scant return? What am I missing -- besides a Hemi that is? :-)

Old 09-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Gqjeff
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's your choice as a consumer. Nobody said you had to buy one. I just installed one on the wife's v8 though and it feels a little better. I agree I don't buy they 33hp gain but I did it in hopes of a little better gas mileage for her. She commutes round trip about 60 miles a day. I'm hoping to feel more improvement when the volant CAI comes next week.

Peace

Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

If I bought a V6, performance wouldn't even be a thought. I would have sacrificed that choosing the V6 instead of the V8.

I agree with you, I personally would not pay $200 for 5hp on a V6. The down side is that will be what an intake gives or even an exhaust on the v6 so the expectations can't really be too high.

Feel lucky that aftermarket even supports the V6 Durango! A lot of V6 guys with other makes and models don't even get an option for tuners, intakes, etc.

Last edited by fishandgrits; 09-22-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 AM
rvarner
Professional

I agree with fishandgrits. You aren't going to be able to squeeze much out of the V6. It was well worth the $250 I paid for the hypertech. It makes the DD so much more drivable with much better downshifting to pass and much better pedal response. I have had mine on for about a month and I just love it. This is on a Hemi though.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:54 PM
DRGO1022
Rookie

Orin, I live right down the street, from you in glen Burnie, i have just about every mod performance wise besides TB and super charger that I know of (someone correct me if I am wrong please cause I would love more performance). There is not much out there for the V6. But I can say since I have the HTI, my wife already stated that if she gets pulled over for driving a tad to fast(because of the impovement of drivability and fun) it's not her fault, lol. It IS no Hemi, had two of them, but the V6 is fun to drive now. Meet me sometime and decide for yourself. Will it blow your socks off, no just more fun. Yes, I do wish I had a Hemi, no doubt, but MPG I wanted at the time.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:28 PM
BadBenz94
Veteran

Originally Posted by DRGO1022
Orin, I live right down the street, from you in glen Burnie, i have just about every mod performance wise besides TB and super charger that I know of (someone correct me if I am wrong please cause I would love more performance). There is not much out there for the V6. But I can say since I have the HTI, my wife already stated that if she gets pulled over for driving a tad to fast(because of the impovement of drivability and fun) it's not her fault, lol. It IS no Hemi, had two of them, but the V6 is fun to drive now. Meet me sometime and decide for yourself. Will it blow your socks off, no just more fun. Yes, I do wish I had a Hemi, no doubt, but MPG I wanted at the time.

I think if just keeps the tranny from up shifting too fast, that may be worth it alone!

Chris

Old 09-23-2013, 01:47 PM
DRGO1022
Rookie

^^ agreed and it does along with putting it in gear quicker. put it this way, I have an 09 Harley sportster nightster, if it's nice out and between the bike and the D, it's sad to say, right now it would be the D. Sorry Harley lovers, but it's the truth. Love the bike but The V6 D is more fun to drive right now.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRGO1022
Orin, I live right down the street, from you in glen Burnie, i have just about every mod performance wise besides TB and super charger that I know of (someone correct me if I am wrong please cause I would love more performance). Meet me sometime and decide for yourself. Will it blow your socks off, no just more fun. Yes, I do wish I had a Hemi, no doubt, but MPG I wanted at the time.
PM sent

Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 AM
woblik
Veteran

Ok, ive done some thinking, and heres what i have.

I think the hypertech is a huge improvement on a low mileage newer vehicle. I got my 2012 in april and it had 25k on it. I noticed a difference, but minimal. Mpg the same.

Dodges tuning detunes the power for the first so many miles, then gradually releases more and more. I noticed this on my bosses work truck, a 2012 ram with the 5.7. At first it got 9 mpg avg and was a dog. Now, 2 yrs later and 35k on it, shes got a lot of gettup and gets 14-17 on average.

Thats why, i think, a lot of dd rt new owners complain of gas mileage as well. Theyre netting 9-11 new, where as i was 13-14 with 25k. Now with the afe and hypertech interceptor im getting 15.4.

So, in summary, if you have a new durango, i would highly recommend it. I myself am probably gonna save up and get a hemifever diablo tune.

Both are great products with their perks

Old 09-30-2013, 11:57 AM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Originally Posted by woblik
Ok, ive done some thinking, and heres what i have.

I think the hypertech is a huge improvement on a low mileage newer vehicle. I got my 2012 in april and it had 25k on it. I noticed a difference, but minimal. Mpg the same.

Dodges tuning detunes the power for the first so many miles, then gradually releases more and more. I noticed this on my bosses work truck, a 2012 ram with the 5.7. At first it got 9 mpg avg and was a dog. Now, 2 yrs later and 35k on it, shes got a lot of gettup and gets 14-17 on average.

Thats why, i think, a lot of dd rt new owners complain of gas mileage as well. Theyre netting 9-11 new, where as i was 13-14 with 25k. Now with the afe and hypertech interceptor im getting 15.4.

So, in summary, if you have a new durango, i would highly recommend it. I myself am probably gonna save up and get a hemifever diablo tune.

Both are great products with their perks
Power and milage have always got better after a few thousand miles. Today the phrase is "It's not broken in till 20 k is pretty accurate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hypertech Interceptor -- revisited