3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Ron Burgundy sells the 2014 DD

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw two of the commericals ("MPG" and "Glovebox") during yesterday's games and was unimpressed. While I wouldn't argue for Fernando Lamas and "Corinthian leather," I thought Will Ferrell's "Ron Burgundy" was a little too down-scale. Or at worst waaay too dumb.
I fully understand humor, parody, irony and sarcasm but hanging your product's future on stupidity is too risky, IMHO. Personally, I would've used Ferrell (or Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray etc.) as a foil for my spokesman. Make the spokeman look sharp and with-it as the foil is clueless, baffled, confused, inarticulate et. al.
If anyone here remembers the James Gardner/Marrete Hartley commercials for Kodak back in the '70s they would see where I'm going with this . . . :-)

Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It takes ***** to make a commercial like that. Clearly it shows that they are going for a younger demographic. I think they were funny, and at the same time a poor strategic decision. They just positioned a $45,000 vehicle as immature and juvenile while not really educating anyone on why these are great trucks.

As a marketing guy, I would say that Ford's Mike Rowe series of commercials seem far more effective.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:34 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wi-steve
It takes ***** to make a commercial like that. Clearly it shows that they are going for a younger demographic. I think they were funny, and at the same time a poor strategic decision. They just positioned a $45,000 vehicle as immature and juvenile while not really educating anyone on why these are great trucks.

As a marketing guy, I would say that Ford's Mike Rowe series of commercials seem far more effective.
I agree. He's hardly touting what these vehicles offer. I'm not a huge Will Ferrell fan to begin with as I find his stuff not terribly funny.......other than Old School, which had its moments. I hope Dodge follows through with some actual numbers and comparison figures in future ads.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Here is a local paper by me that list what the deal is with Ron Burgundy.

http://www.freelancestar.com/2013-10...-for-chrysler/

Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Watching the press conference today they are targeting the Active lifestyle 40-50 yr olds family men
STEVE

Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM
V for Victory
All Star

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
Watching the press conference today they are targeting the Active lifestyle 40-50 yr olds family men
STEVE
HEY.... that's me, and I already have one! So they must be doing it right then, LMAO

Old 10-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by detailsbyfrank
Here is a local paper by me that list what the deal is with Ron Burgundy.

http://www.freelancestar.com/2013-10...-for-chrysler/
The link takes you only to the home page and not the specific story..

Old 10-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by wi-steve
Yep. Plus those guys from Sonic. :-)

Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Fullslp
Captain

So after reading some replies I thought about how effective these advertisements really are so yesterday I showed the gumball video to 10 people at work. 7 men and 3 women. I initially asked all of them one question. Would you buy a Durango based on this commercial alone. Obviously they all replied no. Although 3 of them asked follow up questions about the truck. " none of them recalled seeing one on the road and since I don't drive mine to work it seemed like a fair experiment. Today I asked another question to the 10 people. What kind of Vehicle was in the commercial yesterday. They all replied A DODGE DURANGO. So I assume they were using a high profile personality to get the dodge Durango into viewers minds. I guess that worked.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:02 PM
IlliniJeeper
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fullslp
So after reading some replies I thought about how effective these advertisements really are so yesterday I showed the gumball video to 10 people at work. 7 men and 3 women. I initially asked all of them one question. Would you buy a Durango based on this commercial alone. Obviously they all replied no. Although 3 of them asked follow up questions about the truck. " none of them recalled seeing one on the road and since I don't drive mine to work it seemed like a fair experiment. Today I asked another question to the 10 people. What kind of Vehicle was in the commercial yesterday. They all replied A DODGE DURANGO. So I assume they were using a high profile personality to get the dodge Durango into viewers minds. I guess that worked.
A very interesting experiment and result.

Quick Reply: Ron Burgundy sells the 2014 DD