Best All Around DD Tires - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 AM
mmark27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best All Around DD Tires - opinions please

Fellas,

What're you runnin' and do you like them? What's the best, in your esteemed opinions, all around tire. I'd like good action in snow, but good summer usage too. Nothing super aggressive, but Wisconsin winters suck. My Michelin Latitudes are worn down and I'm not going to make the winter without new ones.

I have the 265/60R18. I know that because its a wide tire, it won't be great in snow, so despite that, what cha got?

Thanks!!!

(or point me to a current thread, I searched and couldn't find a catch all list, lots of modded tires threads)

Old 11-25-2013, 12:36 PM
hairless_ape
Rookie

Sorry, but with the amount of snow fall you get in WI you should be running snow tires or A/T's in the winter. Even all-seasons with good snow traction aren't meant to handle much more than a few inches.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:52 PM
mmark27
Rookie

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
Sorry, but with the amount of snow fall you get in WI you should be running snow tires or A/T's in the winter. Even all-seasons with good snow traction aren't meant to handle much more than a few inches.
I'm leaning Firestone Destination A/T at the moment for that exact reason. Those Michelin's were what came on it when I bought it (25k, now 40k) and its like racing slicks. I can't afford or store two sets of tires at the moment.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:39 PM
GDM
Professional

I just replaced my crappy Michelin latitudes (38,000 miles) with Continental CrossContact LX20 same size as yours. Bought them at our local Ford dealer (best price even better than Tirerack). So far so good. I too live in WI and these tires will do just fine IMO. Now if I am trying to go through 20 inches of snow, then I might have issues, but 6 to 8 to 10 inches of snow, no problem.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 AM
hairless_ape
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmark27
I'm leaning Firestone Destination A/T at the moment for that exact reason. Those Michelin's were what came on it when I bought it (25k, now 40k) and its like racing slicks. I can't afford or store two sets of tires at the moment.

The Firestone Destinstion A/T is an awesome tire. I had them on my RWD F-150...they were the only tires thst kept that thing straight in the snow. I've never had sny luck with Michelin tires. The ones I had weren't even acceptable in the rain let alone snow.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:54 AM
mmark27
Rookie

Originally Posted by GDM
I just replaced my crappy Michelin latitudes (38,000 miles) with Continental CrossContact LX20 same size as yours. Bought them at our local Ford dealer (best price even better than Tirerack). So far so good. I too live in WI and these tires will do just fine IMO. Now if I am trying to go through 20 inches of snow, then I might have issues, but 6 to 8 to 10 inches of snow, no problem.
I did a lot of research on tirerack and calling around to many places in Madison. I was left with the impression that most people thought that the Firestone Destination LE2 tires were probably the best bet over the A/T simply because they (LE2) perform about as well as the A/T in the snow/ice as well as they run a higher warranty and have better treadwear in the summer than the A/T. Comparing them to the Continental CrossContact LX20, they seem nearly identical in ratings and snow, etc. on Tirerack. Sounds like the original LE tires weren't spectacular, but the LE2 are much improved.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 AM
3gensofDD

I just put on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak DMV1 P265/50R20 before heading up hunting near Steamboat CO, and I couldn't have been happier with their performance in the mud, ice, and snow on the unplowed back country roads. It climbed hills pulling a trailer that most others were chaining up for.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:19 AM
napper505
Amateur
Smile tires

I've been shopping for winter's for a few weeks my tire guy tried to put together a few packages on 18's. The cost was prohibitive . I decided to put on blizzaks on the 20 inch rims but they are not available.

My guy found a set Toyo Gsi5's and they are goin on the R/T on Monday.
Will let you know how it works out.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie.../Observe+GSi-5

I am still looking for alternate summer rims

Cheers

Old 11-30-2013, 09:19 PM
zaktrafton
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cooper weathermaster wsc installed on my 18's for $790. GREAT so far.

Last edited by zaktrafton; 11-30-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:11 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nmark> I live in Columbus WI. Very happy with the Goodyear Forteras (20" wheels) on my AWD 2012 Durango. Handled last winter very well and also handles quite well in the summer.

I would see no reason to put snow tires on this thing. If you have the rear drive version, well, then maybe the snow tires are worth considering.

Steve

Quick Reply: Best All Around DD Tires - opinions please