3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Dragging brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, since I drove my R/T of the lot there has been a strange harmonic type humming when in motion. At first I thought it was the tread noise from the tires but now I know it's not. When I put my caliper covers on I noticed that the disc brake pads rub on the rotors even when the brakes are not applied. They never completely disengage. With the car jacked up you can spin the tire and start to hear the humming. Shouldn't the pads have just a hair of daylight between the rotors when the brakes aren't in use? And they aren't just barely making contact, they have a good rub the entire 360. Is that just the way they build them now? If so wouldn't it effect economy and brake life?

Old 02-28-2014, 12:32 AM
ufokillerz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your rotors are discolored in anyway, you know its really rubbing. i had this once when i had a friend change some pads for me, and applied too much of the quiet compound.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:41 AM
brashears113
Amateur

Your brake pads shouldn't be rubbing. Definitely want to take them in. Unless you can do it yourself (I couldn't, and wouldn't mess with brakes. I know they are easy to do and saves a bunch of money, but no, never).

Old 02-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Fullslp
Captain

The rotors may not be fully seated against the hub. Even If its a few hundreds millimeters off it will rub 360 degrees. New car= take it back.

Quick Reply: Dragging brakes