3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

UConnect phone book delete help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:31 AM
pjw1967
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UConnect phone book delete help

I never intended to download my iPhone's complete contact list, but somehow it happened. Now everywhere I look in the Owner's manual, it says that automatic download entries cannot be deleted. I would have to make the changes on the iPhone and then they will sync with the phone book. So that suggests I would have to back up all the contacts, delete them from my iPhone, then sync the iPhone to UConnect to make them go away, and then reload the contacts to the phone and prevent them from auto downloading again. Sounds messy and prone to failure. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:09 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, this is an Apple issue and you won't really be able to delete the contact list forever even by the method that you mentioned and here's why:

In APPLE's infinite wisdom and thinking that they know exactly what everyone wants or needs, they will automatically download your phonebook contacts at the initial pairing of the phone as well as each time that the ignition key is turned on. So even though you deleted them thru iTunes and then re-paired your phone to Uconnect, the contacts would not be there at that moment, however once you turn the key off, the next time that you enter the vehicle and turn the key on, Uconnect goes thru a handshake with the phone and will ask the phone to download the pb contact list. Uconnect downloads the contact on each ign key cycle in case that you have added or deleted contacts while away from the vehicle. so the list will now be back on Uconnect.
Other phones will ask for permission to download the pb contact list at initial pairing. You have the choice to decline or accept it as well as there being a "always" selection. At the pairing of the phone & Uconnect a person would select "always & accept or decline". Now even with those phones, if you select "always & decline" because you don't want the list downloaded, upon the next ign key cycle, the phone will ask you for the permission to download the contacts about 3-5 times. It will do this just to make sure that you still really don't want them downloaded. This request from the phone isn't an audible prompt so you either just ignore it and it'll go away after the few attempts or you can keep selecting "decline" for each request pop up.

Originally Posted by pjw1967
I never intended to download my iPhone's complete contact list, but somehow it happened. Now everywhere I look in the Owner's manual, it says that automatic download entries cannot be deleted. I would have to make the changes on the iPhone and then they will sync with the phone book. So that suggests I would have to back up all the contacts, delete them from my iPhone, then sync the iPhone to UConnect to make them go away, and then reload the contacts to the phone and prevent them from auto downloading again. Sounds messy and prone to failure. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM
pjw1967
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this detailed response. Seems it is a problem for UConnect too. If there was a choice to autodownload or not, then the type of phone wouldn't matter. I suppose I'll have to clean up my phone book...ugh....

Old 04-11-2014, 08:52 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all other phones that supports PBAP (which is the BT profile needed to download your phonebook contacts) operates the same way by receiving the request to download from Uconnect and then asking you if you want to download your phonebook, if you select "decline or no", then Uconnect will send this request 3 more times just to make sure that you really don't want it downloaded and APPLE comes along with their force feeding of the phonebook download. How can it be a problem with or for Uconnect at all? It isn't, it's a problem between APPLE and their customers.
Uconnect can't bypass APPLE's wisdom and read your mind instead, they are doing what the BT specs call for and works correctly for every other mfg.
Just another one of those things where APPLE knows best, kind of not giving the customer a choice of how to add more memory other than having to sell the current phone or iPod and spend more money with them on a new device with more memory or being able to share my media easily with my family or friends along with a few other things.
I do use an IPhone for work because they supplied it, but I wouldn't own one personally. The phone needs to be rebooted at least once a month for issues other than just BT. There are times that I don't get any notifications of incoming calls, text messages or email. I reboot the phone and now it works correctly. It would be nice if APPLE stepped down off the throne and stopped thinking that the world needs to conform to them and their ways.

Originally Posted by pjw1967
Thank you for this detailed response. Seems it is a problem for UConnect too. If there was a choice to autodownload or not, then the type of phone wouldn't matter. I suppose I'll have to clean up my phone book...ugh....

Quick Reply: UConnect phone book delete help