3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Considering Durango R/T AWD - questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:11 PM
aimcat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Durango R/T AWD - questions?

My husband and I currently own a 2008 FJ cruiser. Considering trading for a 2012 Dodge Durango RT AWD with 40k miles. So the reason we would be switching is because we want a little more room, and creature comforts that the FJ doesnt provide. So I want some thoughts on this.
Is the Durango reliable? Whats the main difference other than appearance over the regular say Citadel and the RT?
What are pros and cons?
Is everyone that owns theres happy?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:44 AM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by aimcat
My husband and I currently own a 2008 FJ cruiser. Considering trading for a 2012 Dodge Durango RT AWD with 40k miles. So the reason we would be switching is because we want a little more room, and creature comforts that the FJ doesnt provide. So I want some thoughts on this.
Is the Durango reliable? Whats the main difference other than appearance over the regular say Citadel and the RT?
What are pros and cons?
Is everyone that owns theres happy?
The RT is the sport model vs the Citadel which is the luxury model. The others are downscale from the RT and Citadel. I have a 2012 Citadel with 43k miles and like it. I have had very few problems. I would have taken an RT if I could have found a red one. This is my second Durango, had an 05 Limited. The RT can be loaded up nearly as completely as the Citadel., though a few options are unique to the Citadel. The RT has a louder exhaust, slightly louder - not obnoxious. Many prefer it even loader.

One problem recent Durangos have had is with the TIPM control module. It has an embedded and insufficient relay that controls the fuel pump. When it is failing it either latches open - no start, or closed - runs the battery dead. There is a revised version but they have had weeks of backorder, so if it fails you may be without your Durango for weeks. If you have to pay out of warranty it's over $1k. Then again, many of the electronic widgets any any brand of new vehicle can be expensive. At 40k miles, if they haven't already been replaced, you'll need new tires before 50k. I'll be getting about 48k out of mine, but the RT probably has a sport tire that may not have the 60k mileage rating that mine do.

Other problems found on this forum are probably pretty typical with any vehicle - all vehicles have some problem, and those with issues flock to the forums to complain or seek help. This makes it look like the Durango has lots of issues - but remember that the majority having no issues are oblivious to the existence of these forums.

The 6-speed transmission can be a bit klunky (noisy) when going in and out of park but that doesn't hurt anything - and there is a service bulletin to fix it. There is another service bulletin you will want - I don't have the number handy but it is for premature upshift. I had an issue where I would be creeping along at 5mph trying to merge, then when an opening came I'd hit the accelerator....and nothing. It had upshifted into second - so I hit the gas harder because now I've committed to merging, it downshifts and tears out.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my R/T and have had a license plate light go out but that's about it.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:12 AM
WannaV-8
Veteran

aimcat--bbtkd covered most things. I have a 2013 R/T and have had it for a year. Really love the car. I decided that since my last car was a 2012 Toyota 4Runner, which is considered more reliable (and primitive and uncomfortable) that I would buy a Chrysler warranty for peace of mind. http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com (Zeigler) offers inexpensive peace of mind. That said, my R/T is a blast to drive and a very useful vehicle that has given me no trouble. Tows well, 3rd row is very usable, even for adults. Gas mileage is not a strong suit, but many here get 18-20 if they keep their foot out of it. Citadel is a bit softer in ride, but very comfortable and it offers more interior color choices--R/T is black interior only. Underpinnings are older Mercedes M class components from when Daimler Benz owned Chrysler and put the Durango and the new Jeep Grand Cherokee into development. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:34 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 d

I have a 2012 v6 crew (loaded with just about everything). After owning mine for two years I would recommend it. Performance-wise, I would suggest the V8 over the V6 if you like the speed. The v6 is practical though. The handling is outstanding (even in non RT trim) compared to other SUVs I have driven.

Reliability: No big problems on mine. Dealer fixed a bad tailgate strut under warranty, and fixed a quirk with the rear ac not kicking on when remote start (software update). The dealer's high pressure warranty sales efforts were obnoxious, but the service department has been very good to work with.

Stock stereo (with sub, I think the 430N) put every other stock unit to shame.

Looking back, the RT would have been a better choice except that I appreciate the built in roof rack that all other models have. Also, I could be mistaken, but I think the RT is lower. I'm in WI, and every bit of clearance is handy in deep snow.

I would say I think mine in particular has a crappy (orange peel everywhere) paint job, so what ever you buy look it over carefully. Some are nice and smooth, some not so much.

Steve

Last edited by wi-steve; 06-21-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 AM
GDM
Professional

I drive a 2011 crew with the V6, and love it. Bought new 3 years ago and currently have 52,000 trouble free miles. Had a power steering leak under warranty, but nothing else to report, other than had to replace crappy OEM Michelin tires at 38,000 miles (nothing to do with the vehicle). I use it for towing and hauling A LOT. It is truly a utility vehicle for me. Had the entire back loaded with various stuff yesterday on a trip from Miwaukee to west coast of Wisconsin. It is a great traveling vehicle and get decent MPG for a heavy SUV....would and likely will buy one again, next time a citadel with V6. Have taken it on three long multi state road trips and appreciate the ride and comfort it provides.

Quick Reply: Considering Durango R/T AWD - questions?