3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2014 drl

Old 07-13-2014, 03:53 PM
JRRF
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 drl

So I'm trying to figure out how the daytime running lights work without an extra pair of eyes. These are the two things I found in the manual:
The Daytime Running Lights come on whenever the engine is running, and the transmission is not in the PARK position. The lights will remain on until the ignition is switched to the OFF or ACC position or the parking brake is engaged. The headlight switch must be used for normal nighttime driving.

When this feature is selected, the headlights will turn on whenever the engine is running. To make your selection, touch the “Daytime Running Lights” soft-key, until a check-mark appears next to setting, indicating that the setting has been selected. Touch the back arrow soft-key to return to the previous menu

Of course these things contradict each other. Either you need the car in drive or not. And one implies there are separate DRLs, the other talks about the headlights. So how does this really work? I keep my headlight switch in "auto", but so far I've not seen the headlights or LEDs come on unless I turn on the headlights or parking lights. Of course I have to have my car in Park to do this...

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:46 AM
Omar Zarraga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure more out on this? I just bought a 2015 Durango limited RWD v6 and have not seen the DRL running.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:49 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The US Government does not require DRL's to be equipped on cars, thus not every manufacturer adds them. However, Canada does require every car to have DRL's. Check your build sheet to see if your Durango came equipped with DRL's (you can request a build sheet from the Dodge Customer Assistance Center - I sent them and email with the VIN and got everything the car came equipped with). My 2013 Owner's Manual makes the same reference you posted about DRL's, but also states "If Equipped".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 drl