3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

'13 D fuel mileage research

Old 12-18-2014, 10:16 PM
plasmageorge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saleen190
So take this for what you will but over the last week or so I've been testing my average mpg according to the trucks onboard computer. So.... I commute about 40 miles on wide open interstate with no traffic interference VERY early in the morning. What I've been doing is as I merge onto the interstate setting the cruise at the speeds below and once it's set I reset the Mpg. Due to no traffic when I commute I'm able to make the whole 40 mile trip without having to turn off the cruise or brake. The below listed mpg's is what it showed as I turned off the cruise control and exited the interstate.

65mph ......22.3mpg
70mph.......24.5mpg
75mph.......21.7mpg

I've tested it several times and these numbers are consistant. So apparently 70 is the "sweet spot" if you can tolerate driving that speed.
I almost do the same commute style, and in my head felt 65 was better "Eco" driving. I mean you can see the cylinder deactivation kick in and the instant MPG shoots up.....but at higher speeds your fighting too much wind. At least that was my thinking.....the higher speeds, the less cylinder deactivation.
Maybe through the Hemi has more efficiency with a tad higher RPM of 65 vs 70 ?

This is interesting, great info, I'll try so see my MPG at 70.

Do you suggest must buys for me....the AFE intake and Hypertech to maximize MPG ? Just got it, and it's bone stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '13 D fuel mileage research