3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Need to replace TIPM- won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:02 PM
moparmommy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to replace TIPM- won't start

Coincidence?? I took my 2012 in on friday for the brake booster recall/they diidn't have the sunvisor part in, or they would have done that one as well. I went to drive it Friday night (after it sat at the dealers all day) and it hesitated before it started up. Not thinking much of it, but seems kind of weird! Then Saturday morning, I go to take my daughter to a parade, and it won't start, I tried 3x and it just kept making the sound like it wanted to start but wouldn't catch! So I had it towed to the dealer, of course it starts fine for them. I told them to keep it til today (monday) that hopefully it won't start for them.

It's the TIPM and my extended warranty does NOT cover it. So now the question is should I get it replaced for $1100 or trade it in for a non Chrysler vehicle!??

Those of you that have replaced the TIPM, have you had other issues since then? I really am just afraid of this car nickel & diming us now.

Any outlook would be appreciated.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:44 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Well, there is a Chrysler repair for your TIPM where they isolate the fuel pump relay and wire that separately outside (and bypassing) the TIPM. Cheap fix too $75-100 from what I've read here on the forum. Worth checking into.........anyone, chime in?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:31 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Moparmommy call chrysler support and ask for help. Let them know it ran fine when brought in and coincidentally it doesnt now. Ask them to make a consideration to pay a $100 or $200 and they should replace it.
They often can help
STEVE

Old 10-06-2014, 11:01 PM
SLAINTE06
All Star

A girl at work had similiar issue, they told her some fuel relay issue, she didnt know about TIPM until I told her, had issues starting also. Told her to call chrysler, they said they would absorb 50% of the $1400. Dealer then went after and spoke to chrysler and said it wasnt TIPM related and would only pay $100, so just depends who you are dealing with, but some extra discount better than none.

Good luck!!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:45 AM
moparmommy
Amateur

Thanks for the suggestions, I will call Chrysler first thing in the morning!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Claus Graf
Rookie

How many miles does your Durango have?

I have a 2012 Durango with 54,000 miles (bought December 2011). I had the alternator fail during summer vacation on the road. Got a new one at the Gainsville FL dealer for $820,00. Then 3 weeks later the TIPM started acting up. This time Chrysler and the Dealer (Allen Samuels Dodge Katy in Houston Texas where I bought the DD) worked together and I got the TIPM replaced for $100,00.

Talk to Chrysler (as FSTDANGO3 says) they might be able to help like they did in my case.

Claus Graf

Old 10-07-2014, 11:28 AM
moparmommy
Amateur

Originally Posted by Claus Graf
How many miles does your Durango have?

I have a 2012 Durango with 54,000 miles (bought December 2011). I had the alternator fail during summer vacation on the road. Got a new one at the Gainsville FL dealer for $820,00. Then 3 weeks later the TIPM started acting up. This time Chrysler and the Dealer (Allen Samuels Dodge Katy in Houston Texas where I bought the DD) worked together and I got the TIPM replaced for $100,00.

Talk to Chrysler (as FSTDANGO3 says) they might be able to help like they did in my case.

Claus Graf
It has just over 62,000 miles- we've taken it xcountry more than once.. Ha! Thank goodness nothing happened this summer on our trip! Ok, I am going to call Chrysler now.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:25 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by moparmommy
Coincidence?? I took my 2012 in on friday for the brake booster recall/they diidn't have the sunvisor part in, or they would have done that one as well. I went to drive it Friday night (after it sat at the dealers all day) and it hesitated before it started up. Not thinking much of it, but seems kind of weird! Then Saturday morning, I go to take my daughter to a parade, and it won't start, I tried 3x and it just kept making the sound like it wanted to start but wouldn't catch! So I had it towed to the dealer, of course it starts fine for them. I told them to keep it til today (monday) that hopefully it won't start for them.

It's the TIPM and my extended warranty does NOT cover it. So now the question is should I get it replaced for $1100 or trade it in for a non Chrysler vehicle!??

Those of you that have replaced the TIPM, have you had other issues since then? I really am just afraid of this car nickel & diming us now.

Any outlook would be appreciated.
Sorry to hear of your vehicle issue. Please PM your vin number and which dealer is servicing the vehicle.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:43 AM
moparmommy
Amateur

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Sorry to hear of your vehicle issue. Please PM your vin number and which dealer is servicing the vehicle.
Thabks, PM sent! :-)

Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by moparmommy
Thabks, PM sent! :-)
I see the file and issue is being reviewed for assistance.

Quick Reply: Need to replace TIPM- won't start