3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Thekoning
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Winter Tires

Wondering what everyones plans are for winter tires. We used the Forteras last year and i have to say i definitely felt safer in my g1 Durango for handling snow. Im in the process of researching better winter tires and think i may go with the new BFG T/A ko2's
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/tire-s...2/tire-details
im torn between these bfg's which i would leave all year round to replace Forteras or these, http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-ti...liitta-r2-suv/
nokian hakkepliittas which would be winter only of course, but not sure if they would provide that much extra traction to be worth the additional hassel and expense.
What are you using, whats the best?

and here are two wild winter photo's of the driveway to entertain ya

Old 10-09-2014, 11:33 PM
ufokillerz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this year i'm taking my new subaru out in the snow hah, i had 1 instance of losing control in the durango last year. Granted i am in New York, and we don't get the crazy stuff! I don't think a close to 3 ton truck was designed to handle too great in the snow.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:35 AM
WereTiger

Thekoning:
I've been pricing out Michelin X-Ice2 on 18" Rims with TPMS and I can't find much cheaper than ~$2100. Expensive, but it's a safety thing so I'll bite the bullet.

Can't find winter tires that would fit my rims :\

Old 10-10-2014, 06:47 PM
harv1234
Rookie

I'm in Toronto and bought Pirelli Scorpions for my first season last winter (I bought late and there was little inventory left. They work well). Biggest issue is stopping with OEM's or all seasons. It really wants to skate on a slick decline at this weight. This is my first SUV and I thought the AWD would suffice. Not at all. X-Ice are great but might not be worth the $$$ in an AWD. I have them for my 300C due to the RWD Hemi and it's night and day. Long and short, I'm a fan of the snows for our climate. The insurance discount offsets around 25% of the tire cost over 5 years if that helps to sell them over safety/hassle.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:52 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by harv1234
I'm in Toronto and bought Pirelli Scorpions for my first season last winter (I bought late and there was little inventory left. They work well). Biggest issue is stopping with OEM's or all seasons. It really wants to skate on a slick decline at this weight. This is my first SUV and I thought the AWD would suffice. Not at all. X-Ice are great but might not be worth the $$$ in an AWD. I have them for my 300C due to the RWD Hemi and it's night and day. Long and short, I'm a fan of the snows for our climate. The insurance discount offsets around 25% of the tire cost over 5 years if that helps to sell them over safety/hassle.
No doubt. If you are in a really snowy climate then snow tires are very much worth it. While all-season tires perform fine for 90% of us who get a few inches of snow that's quickly plowed away, no all-season tire will compare in performance on snow to any dedicated snow tire.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:18 PM
zaktrafton
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

265\60-18 cooper weathermaster wsc. Worked great last winter. Back on already. $800 installed.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:55 PM
jj141979
Professional

Cooper Discoverer HT plus!!!! Awesome on the newer Durango's!!!! $729 all 4 installed at my local Cooper dealer last year

Old 10-17-2014, 08:42 PM
dwolson2
Professional

I run blizzaks on SRT reps in Minot ND, on a RWD vehicle with no issues. It actually does better than my FWD car. I bought blizzaks for my car for this winter.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:22 PM
Ceuls

Blizzaks all the way. I live in Northern Alberta and its the only winter I tire I use now. Driven winter spec from Dunlop, Goodyear, Kumho, Cooper, etc, and Blizzaks offer the best balance of noise, traction, and handling. Long cold, icy, snowy, dark winters up here.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Thekoning
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the reccomendations, I ended up compromising with a really aggressive A/t tire, the bfg ko2's. They have the snow flake emblem so they count as snow tires also.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires