3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

whinning sound from steering column

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 PM
MG2012CREW
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whinning sound from steering column

As title states. I hear a whinning sound only when turning the steering wheel left or right from a stand still from the outside. Inside the cabin a hear a feed back almost like from the speakers but it goes away when I turn the steering wheel left or right. Any ideas? I couldn't find a tsb on this issue.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:07 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MG2012CREW
As title states. I hear a whinning sound only when turning the steering wheel left or right from a stand still from the outside. Inside the cabin a hear a feed back almost like from the speakers but it goes away when I turn the steering wheel left or right. Any ideas? I couldn't find a tsb on this issue.
Per the service manual, this is the list of possible causes for a whining noise in the steering. The dealer can make a definite assessment of the noise.

WHINE, GROWL, MOAN OR GROAN (POWER STEERING PUMP)***
POSSIBLE CAUSES/EVALUATION CORRECTION

1. Low power steering fluid level. 1. Fill power steering fluid reservoir to proper level and check for leaks (make sure all air is bled from the system fluid).
2. Air in power steering fluid. 2. Inspect for excessive air bubbles in fluid (fluid will appear foamy and lighter in color). Inspect hoses for leaks and replace as necessary. Bleed air from fluid. (Refer to 19 - Steering/Standard Procedure)
3. Power steering hose touching body or frame of vehicle. 3. For evaluation and correction, (Refer to 19 - Steering/Pump/Diagnosis and Testing) .
4. Wear of power steering pump internal components. 4. For evaluation and correction, (Refer to 19 - Steering/Pump/Diagnosis and Testing) .

NOTE:*** Power steering pump growl/moan/groan results from the development of high pressure fluid flow. Normally this noise level should not be high enough to be objectionable.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:42 PM
boosted20v
Veteran

Your steering rack is more than likely leaking which means your powers steering fluid is gone. Happened on my 2011 just after the warranty ran out, pretty costly repair.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:19 PM
MG2012CREW
Professional

Thanks all, I will take it to the dealer because I don't see any leaks and fluids are full.

Quick Reply: whinning sound from steering column