3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Stuck in 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 05:21 PM
mrich1974
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in 4th gear

Hi guys, I have a 13 Citadel with the Hemi and it's been towed in to the dealership. This is the 4th time for the same problem. While driving it will slip into 4th gear and get stuck there. About a year ago they replace the Throttle position sensor. Is this a common thing? I was looking thru the threads trying to find something and I didn't see much. I am so tired of this same problem. The first two times it happened the dealer thought I was crazy. Third time I drove it there stuck in 4th and made someone drive with me. This time I just had it towed. I love my car but this is ridiculous. Is this a common issue with this tranny.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:53 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say it slipped into 4th gear, couple question for you. I have an 11 R/T with the 5.7 (AWD) and I have had ithe in the dealer about 5 times for kinda the same thing. If it is the first start of the day and I shift it into drive from high idle the evic will go from D to 4th, it will thud into gear and will remain in 4th until it is shut off and restarted. When this occurs it makes a terrible thud sound if shifted from drive to reverse, or from park to any gear. I have taken it in for this several times and each time I get it back it seems to be good for a while, then same old thing. I also have a driveline thud during light to moderate acceleration at about 10 MPH, prior to it shifting into second gear. Don't even get me started on the issue the Dodge refers to as "fishbite" I love this vehicle, but the transmission software makes me very angry. I believe it is a software issue because when I take it in they just flash it and it seems good for a while. I think there is an issue with how the adaptive learning takes place, they flash it and it is fine, but over time as it "learns" how you drive it becomes confused, and even at times, just stupid. The thump in the driveline around 10 MPH that I mentioned earlier, some times it happens around 50 MPH on light throttle, it will Jerk two or three times. My best description of the feeling would be like a neutral drop from about 1,000 RPM. I have tried turning off hill start assist and manually shifting it with the same results. The only way to avoid it is to mash the gas to the floor. I have noticed that it is not always present if you are turning from a dead stop. I can only guess that is because you are loading up the driveline more. I just feels like there is a lot of slop in the driveline, and after you take off it take up the slack, then thud. I too have taken it in when it is stuck in 4th and they said there were no active codes, although it did have codes pending. I might have asked and forgotten, but I don't know what a pending code is. I am getting ready to take it in again for everything mention above, but I don't have a lot of hope. It is actually quite embarrassing to have a dang near 50K SUV and take somebody somewhere and have them ask "what was that" when it thuds! As I said, I love this thing and I have the max care warranty and plan to keep it. I wish whatever the problem is would just outright fail, if it is a mechanical issue, that way it would be properly fixed. With these newer vehicles it seems that if the vehicle does not throw a code to tell the technician what is wrong, then nothing is actually wrong.....sorry for the rant, I am interested to see if your shares any of the same symptoms. If you search my screen name for posts you will see my other writeups on this issue. Good luck, and if you find a fix let us know.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:08 PM
mrich1974

I just called the dealer and they said it's a solenoid pack that needs to be replaced. They did that but haven't had a chance to drive it to see if that fixed the problem or not. I honestly don't feel confident they know what the real issue is. This is the exact same problem they fixed last time by changing out the throttle position sensor. This happens while I am driving the car, it just randomly puts it's self into 4th gear and there's no getting out of it. I am just frustrated because I feel like I am not being taken seriously most times because I am a woman and these are older men in the service dept. When I go in with my husband they talk to him and he just says I don't know anything about cars, she's the person you need to talk to. I work in customer service so I am trying to be polite but I think I need to be more firm. I have had it in 4 times for this very thing, the first two times they told me I must have hit something and that since it wasn't doing it while I was there they couldn't do anything for me. I have had the shutter at 45-52 mph since I got it and now I just live with it. I have done as much as I can but honestly if this doesn't fix it this time I am going straight to Dodge.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 PM
mrich1974

I have the clunk when I put it gear and told them about that too. Honestly I would think that's related to this issue so hopefully that's fixed too.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:28 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi mrich1974,

Sorry to hear about your concern. I wasn’t able to find any TSB’s relating to your concern. Any updates since yesterday? If you would like me to try to assist on my end, please feel free to DM me your VIN, contact information, and dealership information. Also, if you ever have any questions or concerns in the future, feel free to reach out to me on here anytime!

Old 02-17-2018, 12:53 PM
mrdoran479
Default 2013 Dodge Durango R/T stuck in 4th gear

I had this problem too. I tried turning it on and off a couple of times but the problem remained. I finally fixed it by putting it in Neutral, turning the AWD **** to "Low range", driving forward a few yards, then back into Neutral and turned the **** back to AWD Auto. It worked.
a few on/off cycles later the "check engine" orange symbol disappeared.

Originally Posted by shelbymopar89
You say it slipped into 4th gear, couple question for you. I have an 11 R/T with the 5.7 (AWD) and I have had ithe in the dealer about 5 times for kinda the same thing. If it is the first start of the day and I shift it into drive from high idle the evic will go from D to 4th, it will thud into gear and will remain in 4th until it is shut off and restarted. When this occurs it makes a terrible thud sound if shifted from drive to reverse, or from park to any gear. I have taken it in for this several times and each time I get it back it seems to be good for a while, then same old thing. I also have a driveline thud during light to moderate acceleration at about 10 MPH, prior to it shifting into second gear. Don't even get me started on the issue the Dodge refers to as "fishbite" I love this vehicle, but the transmission software makes me very angry. I believe it is a software issue because when I take it in they just flash it and it seems good for a while. I think there is an issue with how the adaptive learning takes place, they flash it and it is fine, but over time as it "learns" how you drive it becomes confused, and even at times, just stupid. The thump in the driveline around 10 MPH that I mentioned earlier, some times it happens around 50 MPH on light throttle, it will Jerk two or three times. My best description of the feeling would be like a neutral drop from about 1,000 RPM. I have tried turning off hill start assist and manually shifting it with the same results. The only way to avoid it is to mash the gas to the floor. I have noticed that it is not always present if you are turning from a dead stop. I can only guess that is because you are loading up the driveline more. I just feels like there is a lot of slop in the driveline, and after you take off it take up the slack, then thud. I too have taken it in when it is stuck in 4th and they said there were no active codes, although it did have codes pending. I might have asked and forgotten, but I don't know what a pending code is. I am getting ready to take it in again for everything mention above, but I don't have a lot of hope. It is actually quite embarrassing to have a dang near 50K SUV and take somebody somewhere and have them ask "what was that" when it thuds! As I said, I love this thing and I have the max care warranty and plan to keep it. I wish whatever the problem is would just outright fail, if it is a mechanical issue, that way it would be properly fixed. With these newer vehicles it seems that if the vehicle does not throw a code to tell the technician what is wrong, then nothing is actually wrong.....sorry for the rant, I am interested to see if your shares any of the same symptoms. If you search my screen name for posts you will see my other writeups on this issue. Good luck, and if you find a fix let us know.

Quick Reply: Stuck in 4th gear