3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 citadel check engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:56 AM
cpdjoe77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 citadel check engine problem

I recently bought a 2012 citadel w/only 950 miles. For background purposes they said they bought it at a Chrysler auction and that it belonged to a Chrysler corporate that never drove it most likely. The carfax was clean. After having it about a month and a half the check engine light came on, the first time it came on the traction control light came on at the same time. The next time the car was started the traction light would be off. The engine light stayed on for about a day and then would shut off but come back on about 4 days later. I had a jeep grand Cherokee prior so figured it may have been bad gas. After the third cycle of this happening i got it in to the dealer. There was a code for the cam shaft sensor. They got it in and fixed that, then after having the car back the next day the engine light came on again. They got me back in and came to find out the next day the tech working on my car didn't know what to do so he was consulting w/Chrysler and they wound up fixing the solenoid oil control and something with the seal of the intake manifold. Ran solid for 2/3 weeks and now the engine light came on again yesterday. Its obvious they don't know where to start on fixing it permanently and r going to jag me around fixing something different every time til something sticks. Anyone have any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Its a citadel w/5.7 liter hemi and awd

Old 05-04-2015, 07:47 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

What is the actual code? Did anyone ever tell you?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:47 AM
cpdjoe77

Yeah, p0344

Old 05-04-2015, 08:54 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

So, what did the dealer "fix" then? Did they replace the sensor? The tech working on the car did not know what to do? This makes no sense.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:03 AM
cpdjoe77

The first time in they replaced the cam shaft sensor. Not sure what to say about the other time. He literally told me the guy was consulting with Chrysler on how to proceed since replacing the sensor didn't work

Old 05-04-2015, 09:21 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Hopefully it's still under warranty. Pretty bad when even the dealer resorts to throwing parts at it hoping for a fix. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:06 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has the TIPM recall work be done?
Does the DD run rough when the CEL comes on?
What symptoms if any are you experiencing when the CEL comes on?

Old 05-04-2015, 01:52 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

There's a rather thorough diagnostic procedure in the factory service documentation for the P0344 diagnostic code. It would be pretty interesting to understand how much of that procedure the shop went through before giving up and calling Tech Support.

-Rod

Old 05-05-2015, 01:48 PM
cpdjoe77

@usmc - it runs absolutely perfect, when cel light comes you can just tell something is a tad off. Definitely very subtle, but noticable. Best way I can describe it is if its normally running at 100%, it feels like it goes down to 95%. I'm not a car guy so not sure how else to say it. Maybe almost like there's a very subtle surge or the power, very subtle.
@rod - I definitely don't like the sound of that. Probably a moron working on it then, great

Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cpdjoe77,

My DD 12 seems to run the same at times. The CEL came on just after I bought the DD, I called the Dodge dealership I bought the DD from. I talked to service rep about the CEL coming on. He said to bring it in the next day so they can run a diagnostic. The next day I start the DD to take it in and the CEL was off. Rather then take it in and waste time, I call the service rep up and told him the CEL is now off. He said the control module must have done a reset and everything should be fine. The service rep said if it did come back on, bring it in. The CEL has not come back on since. Again at times, the DD doesn't seem to be running at peak performance. It could be me, but I only have my Challenger 5.7 engine to compare it too. And that engine runs great.

That's why I was asking. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2012 citadel check engine problem