3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Map Update Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:02 AM
weatherlover1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Map Update Worth it?

I have a 2014 DD. I see that there is a new Nav Map update. Is it worth updating every year? 149.00 dollars seems kind of steep. Curious if others have bought it and think its worth it. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2015, 11:31 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weatherlover1
I have a 2014 DD. I see that there is a new Nav Map update. Is it worth updating every year? 149.00 dollars seems kind of steep. Curious if others have bought it and think its worth it. Thanks!
I guess it depends on where you live and how often the roads change around you. Or if you travel quite a bit and absolutely need the updates. I didn't buy them.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weatherlover1

I would only consider it after 5 years

Old 07-14-2015, 07:55 PM
GDM
Professional

I have an '11 Durango and have not updated the nav system and don't intend to for awhile, if ever. The update cost is high in my opinion. We do make various long distant trips and have not had any real issues.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:53 AM
TNDurangoNow
Amateur

As far as roads go they are not worth the money. Most of the updates only have places and businesses. Too bad they don't show you exactly what is in the update especially for your area! With the new smart phones and all the mapping on them you don't even need an in dash GPS. My Garmin is always better than any in dash GPS I have ever had. Save your $$$ and buy something else.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:36 PM
ufokillerz
Veteran

the 2014 durango comes loaded with 2012 q4 maps
i think the current update is for 2013 maps.. not sure how big a difference there is

Old 08-11-2015, 10:15 AM
TNDurangoNow
Amateur

Maps are always at least a year or two behind unless you have a Garmin with live updates. A few weeks ago I was heading form Ocala to Thomasville, GA. I entered the address and selected the shortest route because I did not want to take the freeway. At one point the GPS had me turning down a Dirt Road. Of course I opted to pass it by. The other thing that really bugs me is why does it take these car GPS units so long to figure out you are taking a different route? They go on and on telling you to make a U turn even though the road you are on gets you to the same damn place! My cell phone figure it out almost immediately and just re-routes you.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:37 PM
J6L
Rookie

I agree. Too bad they just don't contract with Garmin for all of the FCA models and it would be done right. I can remember my GPS just shutting down for approx 5 minutes in the middle of a highway change in northern New Jersey. Thank goodness I knew the general area and headed down the correct route. Then the GPS rebooted itself after the coast was clear.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:01 PM
911Boulder
Rookie

I'm looking into getting the update for my '11 Citadel... Went to the beach over the weekend and it was telling to use roads and exits that aren't there anymore... lol

How does one go about getting the update...? I don't feel like going to the dealer... lol

Old 08-18-2015, 11:48 AM
J6L
Rookie

I believe that my 1st Map and Radio update was complementary from Chrysler. You might want to call and see if your "D" is eligible for a free one. I also believe that certain Durangos had a Garmin GPS program and others had this other vendor NAVTEQ. (NAVTEQ North America LLC, 3630 Raines Road, Memphis, TN) I'm sure you can go online to get additional information. To date I've not heard that my system needs any more updates just yet. I'm looking forward however to some kind of radio update to help the system sound better. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Map Update Worth it?