3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Fluid Questions

Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Sid Paranavithane
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid Questions

Hi guys, I just moved up to a 2011 Durango Citadel with the Hemi from a 1st gen. I am planning on doing some fluid changes and found out the book and online parts manual says two different things. checked out two dealers they say another thing, so im trying to figure out what you guys think. Im trying to use all mopar stuff. or should i use something like mobil?

i have a two speed transfer case. dealer says use ATF +4, book says NV345/247, Manual on the CD which it came with says use ATF+4

my differentials are non LSD so book says use 75w-140 front/rear with friction modifier and also says if non LSD use 75w-85 in rear. CD says use 75w-140 front/rear. Dealer says use 75w-85 front and rear with no friction modifier.

Im super confused. what have you guys used when doing a transference fluid change and differential fluid changes and what brands?

Thanks
Sid

Old 08-04-2015, 11:54 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is soo funny that I jump on here and see this. I just went through the same thing yesterday. I have an 11 R/T with the same set up as you and spent a while on the Jeep forums trying to figure it out. You are right, there are three different things and it is confusing. I talked to the dealer, gave them my last 8 of the vin and they told me 75W-85 for both the front and the rear. The X-fer case will take around 2 QTs of the ATF+4. You should have the "195" front and the "225" rear, which both call for the 75W-85. I called two other dealers and provided them with my vin and was told the same by both, so that makes three dealers that say 75W-85. It seems Ma Mopar has the market on this stuff. If you look on Amsoil site and put the vehicle in it calls for Severe Gear 75W-90. Since this vehicle has the lifetime warranty on it I wanted to run the correct weight, and I could only find that at the dealer. The price ranges between 35-50 per quart and will require about 3 quarts for both. It seems a lot of people like the Amsoil, Mobile 1, and the Redline, they all meet or exceed the GL-5 rating. I would have ran any of those three had they offered the correct weight, would have cost about half as much. Hope this helps!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:50 AM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did everything last night and it worked out well. I bought a hand pump from home depot and it worked extremely well.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arnold-Si...0008/203051321
IIRC you need a 10MM hex for the x-fer case and the front diff. The harder one to find was 14MM hex I needed for the rear. I struck out at Autozone, Advance, Napa and ended up finding it at Oreilly's.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...eyword=hex+set
Once I had all the tools it was simple, I am at 60K miles but none of the fluids looked bad, still it need it. My only real lesson learned was to do both of the diffs first, it is not a big deal but it takes a little effort to get the pump cleaned to swap fluids. Let me know if you have any questions on the process.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:07 PM
computersavvy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shelbymopar89
It is soo funny that I jump on here and see this. I just went through the same thing yesterday. I have an 11 R/T with the same set up as you and spent a while on the Jeep forums trying to figure it out. You are right, there are three different things and it is confusing. I talked to the dealer, gave them my last 8 of the vin and they told me 75W-85 for both the front and the rear. The X-fer case will take around 2 QTs of the ATF+4. You should have the "195" front and the "225" rear, which both call for the 75W-85. I called two other dealers and provided them with my vin and was told the same by both, so that makes three dealers that say 75W-85. It seems Ma Mopar has the market on this stuff. If you look on Amsoil site and put the vehicle in it calls for Severe Gear 75W-90. Since this vehicle has the lifetime warranty on it I wanted to run the correct weight, and I could only find that at the dealer. The price ranges between 35-50 per quart and will require about 3 quarts for both. It seems a lot of people like the Amsoil, Mobile 1, and the Redline, they all meet or exceed the GL-5 rating. I would have ran any of those three had they offered the correct weight, would have cost about half as much. Hope this helps!
LMAO
It seems you don't really know what those numbers mean, and are extremely picky to have exactly what the book says.
There is no significant difference between 75W-85 and 75W-90 gear oils. In fact, the 75W-90 that Amsoil sells will provide slightly higher viscosity (as seen by the higher second number) and better lube at operating temps than the Mopar 75W-85 .
The differences that really mean something are the lubricity (friction and wear reduction), operating temps, service life, resistance to chemical breakdown, etc. In those regards, almost all the synthetics far outshine the petroleum oils. Amsoil synthetics, for one, usually run at cooler operating temps than petroleum lubes and definitely has a longer service life.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fluid Questions