3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Cuban Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cuban Chrome

Anybody watching that series on Discovery Channel? It's about the car culture in Cuba and follows a family trying to upgrade their 1953 Oldsmobile so they can use it as a taxi for tourists instead of just for local use.
New parts are non-existent and used parts are scare so these guys are pretty inventive and need an extensive network to find used parts for their old rides. They relish parts stamped "Made in the USA" because they know the U.S. parts are the best. They often have to adopt Russian and Eastern European car parts for their American rides, so you can imagine the condition some of these cars are in.
Some of the cars are rust buckets that would've been crushed here back in the 60s, but there the cars are a valuable asset. One guy recently paid $10,000 for a clapped out '58 Bel Air that needed everything including new heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, trim piece galore and God knows what else. The body looked rust free but was far from being straight
Lot of great shots of 50s era cars and even some from the 40s -- '52 Dodge, '57 Chrysler ragtop, several tri-five Chebbies, and many Fords.
With the embargo being lifted it wouldn't surprise me to see a big influx of Cuban cars showing up in the U.S. soon. Of course the newest ones would be from 1961. Can't wait! :-)

Old 08-05-2015, 02:57 AM
edac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good time to ship some cars thataway.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:04 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran

What's more interesting is that the cars are usually converted to diesel engines down there since diesel is cheaper.

BTW, the embargo is not lifted, just the travel restrictions. The State department (i.e., the President) can lift travel restrictions, but an embargo lift requires an act of Congress as it requires that the law be repealed.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
BTW, the embargo is not lifted, just the travel restrictions. The State department (i.e., the President) can lift travel restrictions, but an embargo lift requires an act of Congress as it requires that the law be repealed.

Buzz kill.
And I had my heart set on a cherry, numbers-matching '54 Ford Skyliner for $1,500 or so. :-)

Quick Reply: Cuban Chrome