3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2011 Durango Citadel radiator fan/ac warm at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:30 AM
PACKERS1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Durango Citadel radiator fan/ac warm at idle

I have a 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel 5.7. I have noticed the AC getting warm at idle but its ice cold on freeway. I checked the fan and it is running but not like it used to. I could always here the fan running on hot days when my wife comes home, now you cant here it anymore. The fan is spinning and keeping the temp down on the engine, but it used to run a lot faster with the ac on. Now the fan only responds to engine temps, like when the motor temp gets to approximately 220 the fan kicks on high and sounds normal. I swapped the relays, still no change. Puzzling. Fan does not change speeds with the AC on MAX and lowest setting. The fan only comes on fast now when the engine heats up to 220 then goes back to low at 214, before it used to be running fast almost all the time with AC on hot day. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:43 AM
nicola.dinisio
Rookie

I suspect that you need to have your A/C recharged.
If you are running low on gas in the A/C system, then it is conveying less energy to the radiator and this explains why the fan does not need to spin faster any longer: there is less heat to dissipate!
I have a MY 2011 too, and I had to have my A/C recharged early this summer. Now it cools properly even when the engine is idle, at 800 rpms.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:50 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to the forum, PACKERS1! Sorry to hear about your A/C concerns. There are a couple TSBs related to the HVAC system that may help resolve this. I would recommend bringing your vehicle to an FCA dealership and referencing them; they are pasted below.

TSB 18-035-11

SUBJECT:
Flash: Driveability And Transmission And Heating And A/C Improvements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:
2011 (WD) Durango
2011 (WK) Grand Cherokee

NOTE: This Service Bulletin applies to WK vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (Sales Code EZH) and 545RFE transmission (Sales Code DGQ) built before April 4, 2011 (MDH 0404XX).

NOTE: This Service Bulletin applies to WD vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (Sales Code EZH) and 545RFE transmission (Sales Code DGQ) built before May 10, 2011 (MDH 0510XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may notice any of the following;

Heating And A/C Improvements
a. A/C not cooling enough or feel a warm air burst. This condition happens if 3 to 4 wide open throttle event happen during the same drive cycle or when towing a trailer. (WK Body Only)
b. Heater warm-up time is too slow at or below 14° F (-10° C). Idle RPM has been increased for improved heater warm-up times. (WK Body Only)
c. Loud cooling fan or fan run on high for long periords with the A/C on. (WK and WD Bodies)

TSB 24-004-11

SUBJECT:
Flash: HVAC Control Module

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the HVAC Module with new software.

MODELS:
2011 (WD) Durango
2011 (WK) Grand Cherokee

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.6L and 5.7L engines (sales code ERB or EZH) and Air Conditioning with duel zone control (sales code HAF) and WD models also equipped with Rear Air Conditioning W/Heater (sales code HBB) built before January 6, 2011 (MDH 0106XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience any of the following conditions:
• A increase or decrease of blower speed when the vehicle is accelerated and/or when the vehicle is in a turn (WK/WD 3.6L vehicles only).
• HVAC front controls may switch to display rear controls without actually changing any settings to the rear or front controls (WD vehicles only with Rear Air Conditioning W/Heater sales code HBB).
• In Automatic Temp Control mode with high fan setting, a howl/moan and/or rumble sound (higher pitch) may be heard in cold temperatures.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:51 PM
Claus Graf
Rookie
Default A/C turns on by itself

After driving for a couple of miles the A/C in my 2012 Durango SXT turns on by itself. Could this be a software issue? Could this be related to the TIPM? Or maybe the wiring going to the rear controls?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:04 PM
Tom Jackson
Default Did you ever figure this out?

Originally Posted by PACKERS1
I have a 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel 5.7. I have noticed the AC getting warm at idle but its ice cold on freeway. I checked the fan and it is running but not like it used to. I could always here the fan running on hot days when my wife comes home, now you cant here it anymore. The fan is spinning and keeping the temp down on the engine, but it used to run a lot faster with the ac on. Now the fan only responds to engine temps, like when the motor temp gets to approximately 220 the fan kicks on high and sounds normal. I swapped the relays, still no change. Puzzling. Fan does not change speeds with the AC on MAX and lowest setting. The fan only comes on fast now when the engine heats up to 220 then goes back to low at 214, before it used to be running fast almost all the time with AC on hot day. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

my 2011 crew is doing the same thing.
No ac at idle but on the highway it’s ice cold. And the truck never runs hot. So that leads me to think the cooling fan is working.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:24 PM
MabCle

Bumping this a bit. I have a 2011 Durango Citadel with the 5.7. Condenser and compressor both replaced, recharged, but AC just doesnt feel as cold as it used to. Air coming out of vents feels ice cold, but even after 30 minutes of highway driving with temp setting on LO and fan on highest setting, it gets cool, but not as cold as you would expect.

After they replaced the compressor the Outdoor temp sensor reads 20 degrees warmer than the actual temp. They replaced the sensor, but it is still way off.

I'm thinking the two issues (AC temp and ambient temp) may be related, but not sure. Any suggestions, tips, ideas? Thanks. First time poster.

Quick Reply: 2011 Durango Citadel radiator fan/ac warm at idle